Wiring Diagram for 115 Johnson

scottmcp5

Recruit
I need a wiring diagram for a 96 115 Johnson. I have an old wiring harness on a newer motor and trying to connect a tach that has the oil, temp, no oil lights. I have a manual that shows the plugs and wires, but it does not say where the wires go. My wiring harness does not have the plug that goes in the back of the tach. I have twins on my boat one is a 94' model and the other is a 96'. So if anyone knows where I can get a diagram for both I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance Scott

clanton

Rear Admiral
Re: Wiring Diagram for 115 Johnson

Using a tach that matched your wiring harness would be simpler. There was post that id the pin number and purpose. If you use the red lights, you will have to run more wires to sensors, the old harness only had one tan wire, new harness has 4 tan wires.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

See an authorized dealer. In the Parts and Accessories book, there are the adapter kits and how to wire up the early and late model motors.

scottmcp5

Recruit

Clanton and Seahorse thanks for your replies. <br />I went to my local dealer and they did not have a diagram that would help. The only one they had was one that shows wires and plugs but not where they go. <br />The main reason for putting in these tach's is so that I will have some type of warning for no oil or low oil. I do not have any type of warning right now. The reason that I going with the tachs that have the warning lights, I got them at a really good price. I'll try and find that other post you were talking about.

marinegrh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

1996, system check, ah what fun it is, if you have an older boat 1995 or older , with the newer engine with system check, p/n 176345 is the harness for you, <br />if you have a 1995 or older boat to 1996 newer engie without syscheck, 176349 is the harness for ya, 1996 and newerboat with sys check, to 1991 - 1995 engine176346 harness older engine though will need the 4 wire vro, and lastly, kit 176709 will add system check to a 1991 - 1995 boat and motor, there is enough wiring to install the tach and acc components<br />hope this helped, right from omc serv bulletin, if you have a fax, i can faxyou the color codes for all omc wiring straight from the school as i am a certified tech with omc, you can email me at marinegrh@bellsouth.net

clanton

Rear Admiral

You can put all of the adapters kits that OMC has, but if it does not have a tan wire from each sensor to the tach, it will not work. The wire colors are tan/yellow from VRO to tach. Tan from temp sensor to tach, tan/black from remote tank to tach, tan/orange from fuel restriction sensor to tach. You realy need to look at the engine and boat to see what you have for wires. I would check the control harness at the control and look for the 4 tan wires, if you have the 4 tan wires, I would say you have system check wires from engine to control. Then look for the tach connector in the rats nest of wires that most boats have. If only one tan wire, you will need harness 176*** depending on length of harness. The you will have a problem connecting to the ignition switch and the tilt/trim switch. I would cut and splice the wires to ignition switch and t/t switch. This way you will only need one harness, and old style ignition switch, which is the better switch. The other switch had one recall and one service bulletin for problems.Then you will need new alarm horn with harness connector.