225 johnson turning off when wide-open throtle

Wolf31

Cadet
I have a 1987 225HP Johnson that it works on idle but when put it to full throtle it will go off.<br />instantly.<br />well it is not quite working 100% on idle,it is stuttering like every 1/2 minute<br />Anybody with an answer on this it'll be greatly<br />appreciated.

Hooty

Rear Admiral
Re: 225 johnson turning off when wide-open throtle

When you say "it will go off. instantly." Do you mean it dies? If so, what does it take to re-start it? <br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

Wolf31

Cadet

yes it dies and start after a couple of tries.<br />and when it does it burns too much smoke (gray).<br />then stutters.<br />i checked the sparks and gap them to .40 and it did better in not dying terms but still stutters in idle.

Wolf31

Cadet

this is a boat i bought recently and i found today a gallon of motor oil half empty and i think that is what the previous owner used,also because the color of the gas.<br />would that be the problem?<br />i mean not using the 2-cycle oil make that much of a difference?<br />anyway i am planning to change all the gas in the tank tomorrow and add a good mix.<br />by the way what's the mix?i am been told 5:1<br />where can i find the serial# of the engine?<br />thanks

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Using regular motor oil instead of 2cycle outboard oil can cause beaucoup problems. Does this engine have VRO?<br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

Hooty

Rear Admiral

I just read your post again and you say you are going to change the fuel and premix oil so I assume you don't have VRO so mix a good 2 cycle outboard oil 50:1 with your gas. That's 16oz. (one pint)of oil to 6 gal. gas. I would also replace the spark plugs with the factory recommended plugs gapped .030".<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

Wolf31

Cadet

thanks, Hooty.<br />I'll try that.

Wolf31

Cadet

is 50:1 mix means<br />50 gallons of gas & 1 gallon of oil?

Xcusme

Commander

Wolf31,<br />Yes, you COULD mix that much gas and oil mix , but what a pain to store!. The 50:1 is a ratio of gas to oil.<br /><br />Hooty used the more common 'amounts' based on a common 6 gal. U.S. fuel tank. Mixing 6 gallons of gas with 16 oz. of oil will give you the right 'mix' of 50:1.

Wolf31

Cadet

now i just open the carburator cover(big plastic box) and it has fuel and oil mixed at the bottom.<br />i cleaned it put it back and after a couple of minutes running (stuttering) i pulled it back out and it has some more gas with oil inside.<br />why?

Wolf31

Cadet

now i just open the carburator cover(big plastic box) and it has fuel and oil mixed at the bottom.<br />i cleaned it put it back and after a couple of minutes running (stuttering) i pulled it back out and it has some more gas with oil inside.<br />why? <br />i change the gas and everything keeps the same,still stuttering on idle dying when acelerate<br />in idle it acelerate by it self it stays 700 rpm and then goesd to 1200 rpm and the back to 700rpm and so on.<br />this engine gotten me some headaches.<br />any advice?