fresh water flushing?

toni

Recruit
Hello all. I know this is the "outboard" forum, but here goes. I have a '94 OMC Turbo Jet 115hp mounted inboard my 16" aluminum boat. Being a 2 stroke v-4 I thought this was the proper place to post. If not, sorry. The engine is raw water cooled. I mainly use it in salt water. Is there some way I can flush the engine (running) at home. I flush my kicker (8hp) in a garbage can. Problem is, I can't find a garbage can big enough for the whole jet boat. LOL Thanks for any help, Toni

iRich

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: fresh water flushing?

you can buy muffs that hook to your garden hose and slip them over the water intakes on the lower unit. Don't run it much above an idle like this though.<br /><br />Rich

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander

-- and be prepared... you'll run without any silencing sea of water around the exhaust.<br /><br />May keep the whole neighborhood awake :eek:

zzzzz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Toni-muffs won't work on a TurboJet...you need OMC part # 437021-Flushing Kit..still available at $8.33 at your local dealer :cool:

toni

Recruit

Thanks zzzzz. I realized that I couldn't use muffs on this type of drive. One more question though. This flushing kit will provide the engine with cooling water, but does my drive itself need water? For lubrication purposes? The impeller, seals, etc? Thanks for the help and happy boating, Toni.

zzzzz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Toni-yes your drive needs lube because your driveshaft spins even at idle....so you shouldn't flush for more than 2 to 3 minutes (and don't really need to)...as long as you only flush for a short time your drive will be okay...you can also use Salt Terminator for added protection :cool:

Raz

Cadet

Tony<br />You can also use a pump..(I use a pump for a fifty five gallon drum on mine) and you don't have to start it and take a chance on wiping out the impellor seal....<br />I also winterize it the same way....<br /><br />just my $.02