Help!!! Whats compatable

problemchild

Recruit
I have a 40 vro evinrude 1988 ss and was wondering what are the limitations on years and hp, when serching for mid sections to extend to long shaft. Oh and i seen a mid section on ebay but dont know how to find out from serial number<br />"J40TLEOD" wether it is compatable or even of a long shaft motor. AM i fighting a dying cause?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Help!!! Whats compatable

The model number you give is for a '95 40hp long shaft (20"), Child. I don't know if it is interchangable with the '88.<br /><br />Are you sure you are not looking to go from 20" (long) to 25" (extra long)? '88 40s with 15" shafts are quite rare and in heavy demand by owners of pre-73 Boston Whaler 13s.<br /><br />You might be able to arrange a very good swap with someone on www.continuouswave.com.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

marinegrh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

check bay manufacturing.com or a google serarch under bay manufacturing

problemchild

Recruit

its kind of funny that you mention Whaler, cause that is what i bought it for, but mine is 82 and the tramson dip was 79 and earlier."13models" I am definatly 5' short on the cavity fin running flush. ANd i have made efforts to contact BAy they dont make the extension kit anymore for that model "not enough demand they say" So im just trying to find a used mid section but as i mentioned before, dont know the limit on year and horse power so i can interchange.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The change from 15" to 20" transoms on Boston Whaler 13s was in 1973. If you had a cut down '79 it was aftermarket.