Need Opinions: Fix or Replace '86 Johnson 150?

tangent

Seaman
In April, I bought a 19' 1986 boat & trailer with a 1986 Johnson 150HP V6 VRO outboard. I want to get the outboard reliable enough so that I can relax when out on the boat - as opposed to stressing out as the outboard stalls at the most inappropriate times, among other problems.<br /><br />I did a lot of work on the lower unit, rebuilt carbs, replaced spark plugs, wires, thermostats, etc., and got some great help on this forum. Got a SeaTow membership. Then, because I was still having problems, I brought it to a local shop and they replaced a powerpack which helped, but I'm still having problems with the engine losing power, then revving and with stalling at idle, among other things.<br /><br />I want to keep this boat for at least 3-4 more years and do some touring, wakeboarding, tubing and fishing until I either get sick of boating or trade up. I bought the whole thing for $3800 and have spent probably $800 more on the outboard + many man-hours, and I can see spending $1000 for repairs or $2500+ for a reliable replacement, if that's what it takes.<br /><br />So the question is: If I want to spend some money, should I invest in repairs and hope for the best, or start looking for a replacement?<br /><br />Opinions?!!

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Need Opinions: Fix or Replace '86 Johnson 150?

Parisitic.... Not being able to see the engine, it's impossible to give advice as to whether you should pour money into it.<br /><br />However, trouble shooting should start with the basics.... compression, ignition etc as follows. Also, the lowering of rpms then reving up, if that is a slow happening, could be a fuel restriction which is mentioned below.<br /><br />(Compression & Spark Test)<br /> <br />1st - Regardless of what problem one might encounter, always start with the basic troubleshooting procedure. Check the compression which should be in the range of 100+ psi (somewhat less on the smaller hp engines) and even on all cylinders.<br /> <br />2nd - With the spark plugs removed, rig up some type of spark tester whereas you can set a gap to be jumped. On magneto ignition systems.... and also the Battery Capacitance Ignition system OMC engines from 1968 to 1972, set the gap to 1/4". On the solid state OMC ignition systems from 1973 to the present, set the gap to 7/16". The spark should jump the gap with a strong blue lightning like flame.<br /> <br />If the above checks out as it should, and the engine dies out when throttle is applied, it is usually due to one or both of two things. The carburetors are fouled, in which case the cure would be to remove, clean, and rebuild them..... or the timer base under the flywheel is sticking which would result in a retarded spark.<br /> <br />To check the timer base for sticking (Engine Not Running), spin the prop to align the shifter dog with forward gear and while doing so, put the engine into forward gear. Now, while watching the timer base, slowly apply throttle clear up to full throttle. The timer base should move smoothly all the way up against the black rubber cap that is atached to the end of the full advance spark setting screw. If the timer base sticks, find out why and correct that problem.<br /><br />-------------<br /><br />(Fuel Anti Siphon Valve)<br /> <br />Many of the later OMC V/6 engines incorporate a fuel restriction warning via a vaccum device attached to the powerhead. If the engine overheats, or if you have a fuel restriction, the warning is the same.... a steady constant beep.<br /> <br />NOTE... Only the V/6 & V/8 engines have the above "Fuel Restriction Warning". The warning horn will not sound on the other models. <br /><br />The fact that a engine is not overheating, but the warning horn sounds off with a constant steady beep, and that the rpms drop drastically would indicate that the engine is starving for fuel due to a fuel restriction. Check the built in fuel tank where the rubber fuel line attaches to the tank fitting. That fitting is in all probability a "Anti Siphon" valve which is notorious for sticking in a semi closed position. It will be aluminum, about 2" long, and the insides of it will consist of a spring, a ball, and a ball seat. If this valve exists, remove it, knock out those inner components which will convert it to a straight through fitting, then re-install it. Hopefully that cures the problem.

D

DJ

parasitic,<br /><br />Joe is the expert. Follow his advice.<br /><br />Also, make sure you are running a 3/8" ID fuel line.

tahammes

Seaman

Parasitic, If the powerhead needs alot of work and you don't think it's worth it. Instead of a new motor you might consider a remanufactured powerhead for yours. Just go to powerheads on this website, type in your motor information. They have a powerhead exactly like yours. This a cheaper than a new motor. check it out and see if this interest you. Good luck

clanton

Rear Admiral

If this is a GT/XP engine with 35 amp charging system, check stator, and flywheel magnets, first after compression and anything else Joe said.

93bronco

Ensign

to add to that, there is one vender that offers up to a 24mon warr.<br />-<br />the good thing is the older motors are easier to work on.<br />with a service + parts manual, along with a good machine shop - you can do it yourself if you are mechanically inclined.<br />-<br />to top it off you have this outstanding forum for help!!!!!!!

tangent

Seaman

Thanks for the advice. I guess the answer you've given me is to diagnose the system first and decide based on what I find. Makes sense! I've been getting somewhat frustrated, but I won't give up yet. I'll see how far I get...<br /><br />Thanks again.