E150 Crankshaft thrust??

blue.monkey

Seaman Apprentice
Hello,<br />I have an Evinrude 150, 1989, E150TXCEM. I have had the outboard for two years. It runs great. Although last year I noticed a ticking sound at WOT, and found it to be the flyweel fins hitting the cowl. I noticed the rubber bumpers that hold up the cowl were degraded and replaced them, thinking the engine cover was sinking onto the flywheel. Now, I hear that same flywheel to engine cover ticking sound at about 3500 rpm. Does the crankshaft thrust upward and is this a sign of bearing wear? <br />Thanks for any opinions.<br />Kevin<br />Clinton CT.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: E150 Crankshaft thrust??

Blue.Monkey..... I assume that you're saying that at a high rpm, the flywheel travels upwards to a point whereas it hits the top underside of the hood?<br /><br />That engine has four (4) main bearings, in a vertical downward order being simply 1,2,3,4. Number 2 and 4 have locator holes in them that correspond to pins that exist in the block (crankcase).<br /><br />Those two (2) locked in main bearings make it impossible for the crankshaft and of course the attached flywheel to travel upwards for any reason..... unless something is terribly amiss.<br /><br />Stand over the engine, grab the flywheel with both hands, yank it upwards. If it moves upwards more than a few thousands of a inch, something is vastly wrong.<br /><br />Let us know what you find.

blue.monkey

Seaman Apprentice
Re: E150 Crankshaft thrust??

Thanks for the response, I will do that. maybe the engine cover is sinking on to it??