Primer bulb won't firm up!!

tn

Cadet
I have a 96 115 hp (90% crossflow)Johnson. The primer bulb would not pump up so I replaced it with a new primer bulb(arrow pointing in right direction). The new bulb will also not pump up.What causes should I be looking for? My engine starts without any problem although I do have a surge going on with it and it feels like it is starving for fuel/cuts out etc especially at WOT. Other posts have recommended rebuilding the carbs on the surge problem and I've already ordered the kits for that job. Although I wonder if this primer bulb problem might also be causing the surge.BTW the compression is OK, it's 122lbs to 125lbs in all cylinders.Thanks

The Marine Doctor

Commander
Re: Primer bulb won't firm up!!

Check all the fuel lines and filters for AIR leaks or FUEL leaks.<br /><br />TMD

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

whoderr <br /><br />Try what TMD suggests first. If the problem is still there, try using a known good portable tank and see if this remedies the problem. Could be a bad anti-syphon valve in the tank pick-up. If not, you could have a float in the Carb. sticking open a bit allowing fuel to flow through and the bulb never getting hard. There is always the chance that the new bulb you have is also defective. Is it an OMC brand or Tempo, Ect? I've had more than one new off brand bulb that had a defective check valve in it. Never had a bad factory one do it! Let us know what you find.

tn

Cadet

Middleground,<br />I installed the primer bulb in the same direction as the old one. Pointing towards the engine. Are you telling me that the arrow should point towards the gas tank??

tn

Cadet

I misread your post the first time and went out and tried it towards the tank. Thought that might have been the problem. Only took a couple of squeezes to see that wasn't right.I've looked at all the lines and can't see any leaks of any kind. I don't have any other tanks to test with.Where is the anti syphon valve located?

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Check the bulb.<br />Disconnect both hoses ("in" & "out").<br />Put your finger over the "in" fitting and pump the bulb. Does it suck?<br />Put your finger over the other end and pump. Does it blow?<br />If it does both, the bulb is ok and you've probably got a problem on the suck side of the bulb. If it was on the blow side, you'd see a fuel leak.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

tinker551

Recruit

The same thing happened to me yesterday, I also changed out the bulb because I thought the old one was bad,would not firm up, I found out if you point the arrow up just a little vertical the check valve will hold in the bulb, will firm up in less than three pumps...

tn

Cadet

Thanks Hooty,<br />The bulb is OK so I guess I may have a problem with something else. I'll try pointing the bulb up a little bit and see if that works as well.

chris abela

Seaman Apprentice

i once had a stuck float in carb and the bulb never got hard. Mind you i got fuel all over the place and its not somthing you don't notice

papasage

Senior Chief Petty Officer

if it is a float it will be pumping fuel out the carb throte .NOT NESSARLEY . fuelpump could have a hole in the diafram . it would still pump fuel out the carbs with the primer bulb .and it will still run . had this to happen on a 97 55 hp . papasage

tn

Cadet

Thanks for the info, is the anti syphon valve attached to the fuel tank or is it inside the fuel tank? I can't see the fuel tank without taking out the back seat and pulling up the floor.

Dockton

Recruit

On my outboards I always have a problem with the O-rings in the fuel connectors getting worn out. You can hear the air leaking past the seal in the connector sometimes as you pump the bulb. Hope this helps.