Starter Cord unit bolts stripped

crollinjones

Recruit
I inherited an Evinrude 18 Serial 18102SC 86865. The starter cord unit is held in place by three bolts. Two of the three holes are stripped. The bolts were laying loose in the housing with the hole threads on the bolts so I assume the holes are pretty smooth at this point. I found all but one washer - can it do damage if it falls in the wrong place? <br /><br />Should I drill and tap oversize bolts? Or use helicoils?<br />Thanks

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: Starter Cord unit bolts stripped

Hi crollin....<br /><br />I would the helix coils. Same the trouble of scroundging up bigger bolts and ya' wouldn't have to drill out the holes in the recoil starter legs. Just be sure to drill the holes straight for the helix coil. If ya' can't find the washer, it's probably gone by now. Usually stuff falls down around the lower pan area.

crollinjones

Recruit

Thanks very much OBJ. I will go the helix coil route. Do you know where/how I can determine the year of the motor based on the Serial Number: 18102SC 86865.<br /><br />Thanks again.

bubbakat

Captain

1971 18102<br /><br />was that model number or serial no you posted<br />I think the 18102sc is your model number if so there it is