1988 Johnson 200 trouble

fishingislife

Recruit
I have a 1988 Johnson 200 that is having bad problems. When I first bought the boat last month it had a burnt rectifier and pack. I replaced those. I took it out and I couldn't get the thing to get over 3000 rpms and ran like crap. I took off all the carbs and cleaned them and also decarbed the motor, smae problem. I emptied both gas tanks and checked everything, replaced bulb,filter,all gas and oil lines, and plugs...same problem.I also noticed that if I get the boat to 2500 rpms and hold in the key (primer solonoid) the rpms pick up and sometimess will go to 5000 and launch me onto plane, but this is rare. Pushing in the key will always make the motor run stronger and smoother however, when it should be making the motor bog down and stall. Also the motor will not start or run at all with the air cover on. Take it off and the motor will start right up and run as described above. I even started the motor with the cover off and then once warmed up, I put the cover on and held it in place...after about 30 seconds the motor stalled and would not be restarted until I removed the cover and pumped the primer bulb about 20 times. I could hear that the carb bowls were empty, once I heard fuel getting sprayed into them the motor started right off. Does this sound like a fuel pump problem to you guys? I am going to run a check once I buy a gauge, I should have no less than 3psi at idle right? Thats what I am afraid of though, it'll idle great and rev up fine at idle but not under load in gear trying to accelerate, just kinda stops at 3000 or so, doesn't shake just won't go farther than that. My primer bulb never gets hard as a rock even with the new bulb and all new lines so I assume I have an air leak in the pump itself but there is no fuel leaking out of it. I am afraid that because it idles great and revs under no load that I will get a false reading if I test in my driveway, and I live 2 hours from the lake so I can't drive all that way just to do a test. Please let me know what you thinkit could be, I am leaning towards the vro pump but would like opinions.<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Mike

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1988 Johnson 200 trouble

Morning Mike...welcome to iboats forum.<br /><br />Let me ask a couple questions first.<br /><br />When you rebuilt the carbs, did you get rebuild kits and do a through job, ie..pull each jet and hose it out with carb cleaner and blow the carb passages out with air?<br /><br />After the engine runs and stalls out, do you have to re-pump the primer bulb to get the gas back up to the carbs?<br /><br />Did you check the pulse limiter that connects to the engine block and is hosed up to the VRO pump? If the limiter gets clogged up with "dirt" or carbon, the VRO pump will not work to keep the fuel coming to the carbs.<br /><br />Inspect the VRO pump housing for any signs of fuel leaks. After setting for a while, pull the oil feed line to the VRO and check for any signs of gas in the oil.<br /><br />And do check all fuel line connections. If the lines are stiff, replace them with new snap clamps. <br /><br />Do you have a service manual? If not, it would pay in the long run to get one.<br /><br />Keep us posted....Thanks.

fishingislife

Recruit
Re: 1988 Johnson 200 trouble

Jim, thanks for the reply, I will try to answer your questions as best I can.<br /><br />Yes I pulled all the carbs, cleaned all jets with carb cleaner and compressed air. All floats are adj. right and all gaskets are new.<br /><br />For the most part when the motor stalls the primer bulb is soft and I have to pump it to fill the bowls. I can hear it actually filling as I squeeze.<br /><br />I did not check the pulse limiter but will do that this weekend.<br /><br />All fuel lines and clamps are brand new, just put them in.<br /><br />I do have a manual.<br /><br />I have checked teh pump for leaks but found nothing, I will check the oil line this weekend also. <br /><br />I am thinking that because the pump is the original from 88 that it has to be at least one of the culprits to my problem, especially since I replaced everything else in the fuel path.<br />what do you think?<br />Thanks,<br />Mike