My Motor

cplugpiranha

Cadet
I have bought an Evinrude 35hp motor. It starts and runs fine, however when I get into the throddle (or when I get over 10mph) it kicks out of gear. When the motor was bought, it had just had work done on the carbs, linkage, and gears, as well as etc, etc, everything looks operable. :( It runs fine up to a certain speed- then it kicks out of gear. I do not know the year, but the MO# 35752C

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: My Motor

cplugpiranha <br /><br />That's a 1977 rude ya got there. If the linkage is correct, it's more than likely a clutch dog worn. This will require a lower unit teardown to verify. Try disconnecting the linkage and manually holding the lever in gear while someone else drives the boat. Could still be a linkage problem if this solves the popping out of gear.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Cplug...I agree with Rick here. But could you describe the "kicking" out of gear a little more? If it's doing it on a steady basis at a particular rpm and feels like your hitting a log, then most likely the clutch and gear lobes are worn out and will need replaced.<br /><br />But do as Rick suggests'. Shift the engine manually first to make sure the thing is all the way in forward gear.

cplugpiranha

Cadet

This morning I disconnected the linkage and shifted manually, i noticed that the motor will go into reverse with ease- however when i put it into foward, it does not seem to make the (click) into gear all the way. For example, the lever goes further into reverse than in foward. And yes, it does fell like i would be hitting a log. Thanks for the replies.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Cplug...Dhadley got a good point. If the engine wasn't running....were you turning the prop while shifting?

cplugpiranha

Cadet

No actually I was not turning the prop. However, I got the shift lever to go into gear manually, but same ol problem when running.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Cplug....check your gear lube for any signs of metal or metal sparklers. In any event, you may need to check the clutch dog and forward gear lobes for wear.<br /><br />One other thing to remember, when shifting any outboard, snap the engine into gear. DO NOT slowly put it into gear. This causes the lobes to bounce off each other wearing of the corners of the lobes.