Wounded Seahorse

envy83

Seaman
I am a coach for a rowing club and we use a number of small outboards (15-25) for our coaching launches. Johnson seahorses have dominated our selection because they are cheap and seemingly invincible. My friend however found the one quickest way to kill one. He put new oil in the lower unit, lost the plug and then didn't tell anyone :rolleyes: . Long story short, oil went out, water went in, and now I think the lower unit is garbage. I haven't taken a look at it since it started to run bad and he "mentioned" that he might know what the problem was. The motor was still kinda running when we pulled it off... does anyone have any advice for trying to revive it without buying a new lower unit?? :confused:

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Wounded Seahorse

There may be several options but start by posting the model number of what you have so we're all on the same page. We got the book and chapter but we need to get closer.<br /><br />In the meantime, take yours apart and see what is good and what is not. We'll go from there. A good used one is always an option. Gotta know what ya got.<br /><br />Good luck!

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Hi Envy83<br /> Chances are that the lower unit is indeed toasted. If you can work on it yourself and are resourceful, you might be able to turn up a good set of used innards, buy some bearings, etc. and get in under the cost of a new lower unit or paying someone to rebuild it. Or, you might get lucky and find a good used one on eBay for a lot less than new/dealer-used.<br /> Water is not known for its lubricating properties and if a bearing goes out, it usually takes a lot of other stuff with it as metal filings make their way through the unit. First step would be to take the unit off and take it apart, then get back to us with what you find...<br />- Scott

carmangary1

Seaman

OT:<br />Actually, water is a great lubricant and is used to lubricate reactor coolant pumps. The trick is that it has to be under very high pressure.<br /><br />Just thought I would throw in that trivia.<br /><br />Good luck on the lower unit.

envy83

Seaman

That's about where I'm at with this one. I don't have the model number, but I know it's a 1978 25hp seahorse. Once I pull the lower unit off is there anything I can try to clean it out and or lube it back up? Also should I run the top half in water to flush it out, or was that pretty much unaffected?

jimogeek

Cadet

*off topic*<br /><br />Reactor coolant pumps...<br /><br />That takes me back to my days underwater...

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Hello Envie 83<br />Is this Rochester NY?<br />If so you might want to take it to Bill Mayer at Irondequoit bay and explain him your dire straights.You will probably find an unexpectedly understanding and helpful person who will go out of his way to help you with his fifty years of experience and thousands of spare parts that he is willing to part with if he knows he can help to keep a bunch of kids on the water.<br />Good luck.

envy83

Seaman

Unfortunately I don't live in New York (Rochester, MN) but the good news is that the gears in the lower unit were fine. We flushed the gearcase out, filled it up and put the proper screws in. However on a test run, the motor still jumps out of gear. I assume there must be an downward pull on the shifter rod (?) as it will jump into neutral when running in forward, but will stay in reverse. Any ideas on what is causing this, and/or what will fix it??????

envy83

Seaman

Reading other posts, I guessing this has to do with the "shift dogs", does anyone have any clues on exactly what these look like (when I open the gearcase what am I looking for?) and if they are ruined where to get new ones (for cheap :rolleyes: )