65hp johnson power shift II stuck in reverse

It stuck in reverse and is that way when it starts. Putting it in neutral or forward does nothing, it still goes reverse. Took the cover off and discovered that that the gear lever moves<br />to the reverse position (goes forward) but stays there. Can put it back by hand but anytime the <br />shifter goes to reverse the lever moves and once again sticks there. Moving it by hand seems to work OK.<br />Looked for the obvious something broken or disconnected but don't see anything. Looked at both the motor and inside the shift lever box. Not mechanically inclined much so there could be something broken I just don't see. Also I got the<br />manual that covers 1956 to 1972 motors if there is something there that can help me.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 65hp johnson power shift II stuck in reverse

What is the model number of that engine? We need to know exactly what year it is.<br /><br />You took the cover off of what? Which gear lever are you speaking of.... internal/external? You can put it back by hand by doing what?<br /><br />It sounds like you've either broken a inner shift cable if it exists, or had the inner cable come loose from its retainer.

mattrchase1

Recruit
Re: 65hp johnson power shift II stuck in reverse

Hi!<br /> I had the exact same control box so i should be able to help you out. First off, the boat shouldn't be able to start if the throttle/shift lever in the box is in the reverse position because there is a sensor in there that only allows you to start when the little button is pushed in. There is two cables running out of the box. One is hooked to the warm-up lever and the other is hooked into the cam(Big cast iron piece inside) by a linkage which allows you to shift. The problem lies with this cable most likely.<br /> The problem that i ran into was that this cable slid out of its seat( cylindrical holder under key switch). when this happened i couldnt move the throttle lever on the control box at all. Most likely you can just set that back in its seat and it should work but whatever you do, dont reef on that throttle lever! The lever sits on a triangle which is part of the cam and can be sheared off it you reef on it hard! Thats what happened to me at 9:30pm on a tuesday night 2 kilometers up the river! if you have a digital camera, you can take a picture of the control box and email it to me so i can take a better look. mattrchase@hotmail.com