IGNITION PROBLEMS ON A '69 EVINRUDE

ranger_racerxlt

Recruit
NEED TO KNOW WHAT YOU THINK. I HAVE A 1969 115HP EVINRUDE. STATOR WAS FRIED SO I REPLACED IT. WHEN I PULLED IT OFF THERE WAS 2 WIRES UNDER THERE THAT WAS FRIED ALSO. THEY GO TO THE IGNITION BOX. IM STILL NOT GETTING SPARK TO THE PLUGS AND WAS WANDERING IS IT WAS MY BLACK BOX, OR COULD IT BE MY COIL? THE DANG THING IS ALSO STUCK IN REVERSE. IT HAS AN EVINRUDE SELECTRIC. PULLED THE SHIFTER APART AND ALL THREE PRONGS HAVE JUICE GOING TO THEM @ALL TIMES, NO MATTER WHAT GEAR YOU SELECT. IS THAT NORMAL? PLEASE HELP IF POSSIBLE.

The Marine Doctor

Commander
Re: IGNITION PROBLEMS ON A '69 EVINRUDE

Power is supplied to the wires at different times...whichever gear you are selecting makes the difference.<br /><br />As for the powerpack...most likely that is the blame for no spark.<br /><br />TMD

ranger_racerxlt

Recruit

IS THE POWER PAK THE SAME AS THE IGNITION BOX/BLACK BOX? THIS IS MY FIRST BOAT AND A REALLY BIG LEARNING EXPERIANCE. AS FOR THE GEAR IM SELCTING I THINK IT IS STUCK IN GEAR. IT HAS POWER TO ALL THE WIRES AT THE SHIFTER NO MATTER WHAT GEAR YOU SELECT. DONT KNOW IF THAT IS NORMAL.<br />THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY. IT WILL BE REALLY HELPFUL. JUST HAVE TO KNOW WHAT THE POWER PAK IS.

The Marine Doctor

Commander

The power pack is roughly 3in x 5 in and sits on the right side of the motor, when standing behind the engine.<br /><br />TMD

ranger_racerxlt

Recruit

this box that im talking about is right in the middke of the motor if you are facin it fom the rear. i think we are talking about the same thing. thanks for all your info TMD. it has been a real big help. just have to get a power pak now. will get back to you with other problems.thanks again.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Ranger.... If you find that your powerpack is indeed faulty (Test procedure below), I do have one new one left in my remaining stock that I would disount. ReevesJ32@aol.com<br /><br />(Battery Capacitance Dischage Powerpack Test)<br />Various OMC Engines - 1968 to 1972)<br /><br />Purchase a small 12v bulb at your local automotive parts store (the 12v bulb is to look like a flashlight bulb, not a headlight bulb). Solder two wires to that bulb, one to the side of the bulb (ground), and the other to the positive point. <br /><br />Remove the spark plugs. With the key in the on position, make sure that you have 12v going to the pack at the terminal block (purple wire). Now, connect the ground wire from the bulb to any powerhead ground. Connect the wire from the positive point of that bulb to the powerpack wire that is connected to the coil wire on the terminal board (blue wire). <br /><br />Crank the engine and observe that bulb closely (CLOSELY!). If that bulb glows even the slightest bit, the powerpack is okay. It may be a very dim glow... just so it glows! If it doesn't glow, the pack has failed. <br /><br />Keep in mind, that type powerpack (Battery Capacitance Discharge) demands a top notch battery of at least 70 amp hours. Any less will, in time, cause powerpack failure.

ranger_racerxlt

Recruit

thanks for the info on the power pak.i will have to give it a try. i appreciate all ithe info ive received. it has been a life saver.