VRO, Problem or Not???

CharlesW

Petty Officer 1st Class
It would be interesting to me for people to post some actual instances where the VRO system actually caused an engine failure.<br />Not, "I knew this guy", or "I heard about this guy", or "Someone told me", but the true hands on failure that you have personally experienced. <br /><br />Charles :)

CharlesW

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: VRO, Problem or Not???

One of the reasons for my originally posting this was my having corrected two VRO "failures" this year. In both instances, the owners had gone to pre-mix because they had decided the VRO was not working. One problem was total operator error. He didn't think the oil level was going down in his oil tank. Didn't get an alarm, just decided it wasn't working because someone told him the VRO quite often failed. Marking the oil level on the tank and checking it showed him that it was working OK.<br />The other one was giving the no oil alarm. The motor had not been used for a couple of years. It required bleeding the oil line to get things working again. Here again, marking the oil level to check it while running pre-mix confirmed the operation of the VRO.<br /><br />One thing that many people are not aware of is the fact that priming the oil line by squeezing the bulb is not quite like priming the fuel line. The oil line bulb requires many squeezes to clear all the air and have a full oil line to the pump. Possibly as many as 50. I remove the oil line at the motor and squeeze the bulb until you get a flow of oil, then put it back on the fitting at the motor.<br />Charles :)

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Good idea Charles. This will be interesting.

D

DJ

Charles,<br /><br />Have there been VRO related failures-sure.<br /><br />However, let's look at what some folks THINK is a VRO failure.<br /><br />1. One or two cylinders fail. VRO cannot be cylinder selective. If one cylinder, destroys itself, that is NOT VRO.<br /><br />2. Engine seized, lack of lube. Water/crud in the VRO tank is not a VRO failure, that is a lack of maintenance failure.<br /><br />3. Engine seize. People ignoring warning horns.<br /><br />4. Engine seize. Oil line pinched, cracked.<br /><br />This system has been maligned more than second hand cigarette smoke.<br /><br />If maintained, the system works quite well and is reliable.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Ditto.<br /><br />So far no takers on "real" failures?

willxuout

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a 1996 Evinrude 225hp v6 looper that seized up in May of theis year. When the mechanic tore it completely down he sad that the failure was lack of lubrication.<br /><br />I am sure that had I been using the VRO system that it would have been blamed. I know this because when I went back to the mechanic who had previously worked on this engine I explained what had happened he automaticly said VRO FAILURE...It happens all the time with that motor. WHAT, but I PREMIX!!!!! I walked right out the door and never looked back. Found a new mechanic.<br /><br />Anyway, turns out that the failure was carb related and the previous mechanic overlooked a repair he was paid to repair.<br /><br />Moral of the story....VRO's get blamed for just about everything because most boat mechanics (in my area) are IGNORANT!

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Think about this for a second. If you premix your fuel and forget to add oil one time, what do you think the motor will look like inside when it fails from no oil? All pistons and cylinders will be deeply scored, and the rods, bearings, and crankshaft will be "blued" from lack of lube.<br /><br />Now if someone tells you that your motor failure was due to a bad VRO, then your motor should be totally trashed, not just one or two cylinders. The VRO mixes the oil inside the fuel pump chamber, then sends it to all the carbs. That is why you cannot have just one or so cylinders affected by a "mechanic" saying VRO failure.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Bumping this back up....I'm interested to.

ob

Admiral

Is this post limited to complete meltdown situations or does a symtomatic problem count?My VRO pump had a failed seal between the oil and fuel half which caused extremely rich oil mix on startup and made keeping the plugs clean a hastle.No rebuild could be found for the oil half of the unit from my local John/Rude dealer.I am currently mixing 50:1 using the same VRO pump with the oil half disabled.Been working like a charm for about a year now.For me ,forgetting to put oil in the fuel tank is not an issue.When and if that problem arises I will likely become a danger to myself and will not go boating alone.Been changing the oil in my autos for years and so far I have not forgot to add the oil before starting. ;)

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Good point OB. I think the vast majority of "oil pump failures" will be like this. The powerhead was unharmed.