76 70hp Evrinrude running backwards after lower replacement

Michael_L

Recruit
Hello,<br /><br />I have a 1976 70HP Evinrude that I recently replaced the lower unit with one off a 65HP unit of the same vintage. The unit went on flawlessly with no issues. But when I went to go use the boat, the controls are backwards (Move lever to forward and the boat goes in reverse, ect). The motor was not removed from the boat so the controls were not removed. <br /><br />Is there something I assembled wrong? How do I fix this problem?<br /><br />Thanks<br />Mike

Hooty

Rear Admiral
Re: 76 70hp Evrinrude running backwards after lower replacement

Zounds like you've got the shifter wires crossed. <br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

They are both manual shift units (the lower must be from a 1973 65) but the linkages are backwards from each other. You must use the powerhead mounted shift linkage for that year lower unit. IE -- the shift linkage stays with the lower unit.<br /><br />Unless you have one of the Morse or Hynautic boxes that you can reverse directions of the cable.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

The '76 is a regular manual shift gearcase, the same as used today. The 65hp in '73 was a hydraulically assisted shift (not electric) gearcase that is completely different internally. Someone had to "fudge" a different shift rod on it to make it fit your 70hp. As you found out, they are not interchangable.

The Marine Doctor

Commander

Dhadley is right...you have the wrong gearcase for the engine. <br /><br />Changing control boxes will not help either.<br /><br />As Dhadley stated...you will need to change the shift linkages right on the engine. <br /><br />TMD

P.V.

Chief Petty Officer

You probably have two mechanical gearcases BUT, there were two different style mechanical ones. You need to look at a couple of different part breakdowns for a couple of different year motors in that era. Here's what to look for. The later gearcases had the "now-standard" shift linkage that comes out of the bottom of the powerhead and up to the linkage (that runs ,basicly, "for and aft"). But, there was a year of two where the linkage on the powerhead was different and had a couple of diaginal running linkages before connecting to the shift arm. You will have an gearcase that shifts backwards unless you change this linkage on the powerhead. It can be done, but you just have to order up all the hardware! I suggest you make friends with your local parts guy and you and him will find the parts breakdown and then it will be EZ'ier to understand! Good luck!

Hooty

Rear Admiral

That was the first mistake I made today. ;) <br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Michael_L -- just go to the guy you bought the lower from and ask to buy the shift linkage off the powerhead. If he is parting it out he wont have any use for that anyway.<br /><br />Good luck!