Intermittent Engine Issues

arimarks

Recruit
Hi,<br />I have an Evinrude 1995 Elan 3 cylinder 35 hp outboard. I have just had it fully serviced and it has been running great. When they did the service I had the oil injection disconnected.<br /><br />When I take the boat out she starts up beautifully and will run fine all day long but as soon as I stop and have a fish for over an hour the engine starts fine and idles fine but when I go to take off she starts to stall and the stalling gets progressively worse. It gets to the stage I can't accerate above 5 knots without it stalling. The strange thing is that after running very slowly for about 20 minutes she runs fine.<br /><br />Does anyone have any idea what the issue could be? and for how long should I warm the engine up before taking off - after having the engine sitting in the water for about an hour?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: Intermittent Engine Issues

Fishnman....welcome to the forums...<br /><br />Next time out, after you have run and fished a while, try pumping the primer bulb up before taking off.<br /><br />If this seems to cure the problem, check the primer bulb for a bad valve that may be letting the gas drain back to the tank.<br /><br />If the valves in the bulb appear to be OK, check for lose fuel lines that may suck air.<br /><br />It would appear that during the initial run, the gas is up to the pump and you go OK. Then when you stop, some of the gas is draining back to the tank and it takes the pump a while to get the gas back up.<br /><br />Keep us posted as to your progress...Thanks.