2000 Johnson 135 hp overheating

FishinFool519

Recruit
I have a 2000, 135 hp Johnson SeaPro outboard.<br /><br />I recently found myself a bit stuck on a mud/sand bar as the tide went out on the Potomac River. I raised the trim and worked it out. (water intakes were still in water). Later that day, while accelerating, the heat indicator rose to 150 degrees. Normally it runs cool except for idling, where it will climb to about 125, but during higher rpm's it cools. <br />I have done everything in the owners manual, such as reversing transmission for 10 seconds to clear out intake. Pee stream is clear. Anything higher than 3000 rpm's, and it goes into the auto overheat process and I need to shut it down and let it cool until I can proceed. The overheating process takes about 15-20 seconds to get to the 150 mark. River water temp is about 84 degrees, but I don't think that matters much since it ran cool at that temp before.<br />What can I do to correct this problem?<br />Thanks

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: 2000 Johnson 135 hp overheating

Bout time to change the water pump even without a overheat problem. Might as will do the T-stats while you are at it. When you have the lower unit off and the T-stats cover off you can run freah water through the system to clean any of the crud you may have picked up.