1981-140 erude needs propeller seals

myles carey

Seaman
I recently had seals replaced in the lower unit.they did not replace prop shaft seals.my oil drained out gray today.how dificult would it be for me to replace prop shaft seals?I do most all repairs myself.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1981-140 erude needs propeller seals

Hey myles....<br /><br />Prop shaft seals are not difficult but would requiire pull the prop shaft bearing carrier. Four bolts hold the carrier to the bearing hub retainer plate. Remove the bolts and pull the carrier out.<br />What you'll need are two seals, PN 321463, oring PN 313446 and 4 seals for the four retainer bolts, PN 317178. And of course, a manual. Do get a manual if ya' don't have one.

myles carey

Seaman

thanks obj,i have the manual and the puller but that carrier is in tight! its a real fight.should i use heat? another new adventure in outboards!

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

I would hold off on the heat myles. Only use it as a last resort. If the carrier is really stuck, set it up with the prop shaft pointing up and put a good layer of PB Blaster at the bottom of the carrier. Any other parts losener would probably work. Let it set overnight and go at it again. Have had luck with this process before.<br /><br />Jim

stockyjr

Cadet

Myles,<br />I took the easy way out.<br />The shaft has 2 seals, the outer keeps the water out and the inner keeps the oil in. Hence the water is leaking in therefore you only need to replace the outer seal. Thats what I did I managed to pry out the outer seal and then replace it without removing the shaft.<br /><br />Good luck let me know if you get the carrier out, I may have to do this job sooner or later.<br /><br />John (johns@smartchat.net.au)

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

They make a tool for R&R'ing the seals so you dont have to remove the carrier. I would suggest, if you havent already, to pressure and vacuum test the unit. That way you know exactly where the leak is.<br /><br />Good luck!

ledgefinder

Ensign

Hi DHadley-<br /><br />Where can I buy this tool? I've had no luck with a number of OMC dealers & OB specialty tool dealers.<br /><br />Any info appreciated!

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

If a dealer isn't willing to help you out then call Precision Manufacturing at 800-237-5947. Im sure they will have the tool kit. If not, they have the "mac daddy" puller you will need to make pulling the carrier easier.<br /><br />Actually for the price of the puller/installer set you may just have the dealer change them. they can do it in less than 1/2 hour with the tool. If youre sure thats where the leak is.<br /><br />Good luck!

ledgefinder

Ensign

Thanks! Coincidently, I bought a pair of pliers to remove LU TruArcs from them earlier this year. Real nice quality stuff - about 2' long & almost over-designed. Tough to find out what they have, though, no catalog.

BHM7952

Petty Officer 3rd Class

We have all the above seal numbers in stock (321463, 313416, 317178) discounted 50 % off mfg. suggested list price. Email: linda@nu-z.net

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

I take it you mean you dont have one of their catalogs. Just go to their web site and request one (www.precisionmfgsales.com). Or when you call, just ask. Talk to Tom, hes a good guy.<br /><br />Good luck!

myles carey

Seaman

a lot of good advice, thanks to all.I did take the easy way out and just removed the seal and replaced it. that carrier housing is in good!now I will do the pressure test.thats tomorrow.