Crankcase Seals

RDBurch

Recruit
The specific motor is an Elto Ace, 1938, 1.8HP, model 4256, one piston. It uses two bronze sleeve bushings, one above and one below to seal the crankshaft. I measure the crankshaft to be about 0.001" to 0.0015" smaller than the ID of the bushings. There are no other seals. Is this too much clearance to seal properly? I am also investigating low compression and weak spark as part of a low speed running problem. I have to spin the crankshaft with a drill motor to get the motor to start. It runs fine at higher speeds but will stall at near idle.<br /> Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hooty

Rear Admiral
Re: Crankcase Seals

I'm gonna guess along with ya and say yes, with two stroke oil between the c/shaft and bushing, I'd think that would be a pretty good seal. Low compression would effect low end power but so would the weak spark. I think I'd deal with them (spark and compression) first.<br /><br />g'luck & c/6<br /><br />Hooty

RDBurch

Recruit
Re: Crankcase Seals

Hooty,<br /> Thanks for your response. You said what I was hoping someone would say. I will save replacing the seals until I have exhausting the other possibilites. Besides, finding replacement sleeve bearings would be very unlikely and making them will be tedious, especially trying to get the clearance just right.