Johnson "whats this"

aqualung

Cadet
Hi,<br /> I have a johnson 25 HP seahorse 1982,and on<br /> the side of the engine is a rubber "bung" connected to a wire! is this for battery charging<br /> or testing voltage ect!<br /> I dont have a manual, i've only just got the engine!<br /><br /> Thanks Geoff

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: Johnson "whats this"

Hi Geoff...<br /><br />I guess what I want to ask first is can ya' post the complete model number. There was about six different models of 25's that year. Can't picture in my feeble old brain what a "bung" might be. Which side of the engine is it on when looking from the rear of the engine?

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Bung = Plug?<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

LadyFish

Admiral

Outboard Jim, I respect the fact that you kept a straight face while answering this one, it really tickeled me. :)

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Ya' do what ya' can Ladyfish. :D

aqualung

Cadet

Hi'ya,<br /> Yes, Hooty's right, its a plug "thingy"<br /> on the lefthand side of engine!<br /> <br /> Model number is J25BALCNNB<br /> Serial B016434<br /><br /> Hope this helps, i'm glad i can add a bit of<br /> humour to you guys across the pond! :D <br /><br /> Thanks,<br /> English Geoff

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

I believe that the B in the model number means that it was built in the OMC Belgium plant and it is for the European market. They are not listed in the American parts catalogs. Many times those types of motors have a lighting coil under the flywheel that puts out just enough power for running lights on a small boat. Yep, the lights run on AC power.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Seahorse may have the hot ticket. Connect a volt meter to the plug "thingy" and see if there's AC power there.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

aqualung

Cadet

Thanks guys, i'll try that when i get it running!<br /> I'm in the middle of converting it from a<br /> longshaft to a shortshaft!<br /> Problem is, i cant get a replacment (short)<br /> shaft anywhere in this country! i've tryed<br /> most dealers, a new one will cost me over<br /> 200 quid? :eek: :eek: <br /><br /> Any ideas? :confused: <br /><br /> Geoff

papasage

Senior Chief Petty Officer

i ran a 33 evinrude several years on a short transom boat. had a welder make a plate that slippe over the transom . it worked great .

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Not the best comparison but I run a long shaft 9.9 on a 13' alumnium skiff with no problem.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Hello.<br />Castawayray is replacing a 33 horse short shaft with a long shaft.It could be worth your while to get in touch with him.