65 Evinrude 9.5 Horse Starting Problems

wolos

Cadet
When I pull the rope to start my motor it doesn't want to move. I got it started eventually and got off the lake, so it's not totally locked up but something's definately not right. I don't know much about motors, but a buddy of mine said I may have used the wrong gas/oil mixture. If I add more oil will that take care of the problem or have I done some sort of damage?

Xcusme

Commander
Re: 65 Evinrude 9.5 Horse Starting Problems

Are you saying that the motor is hard to rotate or turn over when you pull the rope or that the motor 'doesn't want to move" to boat after it does start??<br />What fuel/oil mix ratio are you using?? Running the motor with insufficient oil can cause overheating and cylinder wall scoring.

wolos

Cadet

It's very difficult to pull the rope and start the motor. Once the motor is started it runs fine. I usually add 1 pint of oil/5 gallons of gas, but loaned the motor to a friend who only added a half pint/ 5 gallons. I'm wondering if he did some damage or if it will run once I use the correct mixture. Thanks!

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Hi Wolos,<br /> You should be running a 50:1 mix in your motor, using good quality TCW-3 rated oil and mid-grade (89 is fine) gasoline. 87 octane may be good, too if it lacks added alcohol...<br /><br /> Did the motor simply do this once or is it a regular happening? Might it have overheated? A hot motor may lock up initally then free itself up after cooling down.<br /><br /> It's also possible you've vapor locked. If the gas tank is in the sun it may build up pressure inside, enough to force fuel by the float needle and into the intake. If a piston is below the port opening, fuel may enter the combustion chamber and puddle in the cylinder. It won't compress when the piston moves up. This can also happen if the float needle is worn or gummed up.<br /><br /> How did the motor run after you got it going? Was there any evidence of excessive fuel on the water?<br /><br />- Scott