sacrificial zincs

BB79RANCH

Cadet
I have an '81 Johnson 50 that I primarily use in freshwater but lately I have wanted to use it in saltwater enviroments. I see that on later model outboards they have factory installed zincs bolted to their lower units to help combat corrosion. Does my outboard have a factory installed zinc that I do not see? I know I need to have a zinc to protect my engine, but where would one be located or where should one (or two) be installed. This forum has been very helpful to me in the past and I really appreciate it. <br /><br /> Todd Tedder

ob

Admiral
Re: sacrificial zincs

Should be one on your aft lower unit above trim tab near the water discharge ports and also one bar or two individual zincs on the bottom of the transom bracket.Your dealer also carries additional ones that will attach to the forward end of the lower unit shaped like a horseshoe.

BB79RANCH

Cadet

Thanks OB, for the reply. I have seen those zincs above the trim tab on later model lower units, I beleive they were istalled on '84 and later models. You say that I should have a zinc(s) onto my transom bracket as well as my lower unit? What sizes do I need to protect my boat and my outboard. The boat is a 16' tri-hull.<br /> Thanks again for the reply.<br /><br /> Todd Tedder

ob

Admiral

Visit your local John/Rude dealer and they can pull up a fiche drawing that lists the optional zincs available for your engine.

BB79RANCH

Cadet

I will do that. Once again thanks for your assistance with this matter, I do appreciate it.<br /><br /> Todd Tedder