Johnson 90 horsepower will not get on plane

tinker551

Recruit
This problem has just about taken me down..I have a 90 horsepower engine and the problem is the motor starts fine, I cannot hear or feel a miss and it idles just fine, when coming out from the dock after idling app. a half mile in a no wake zone, I go to w.o.t and the boat wont get on plane { it takes at least 200 yards} and I can tell I am not getting the 90 horsepower that should be there but here is the kicker, I can shut down engine for 5 minutes after traveling up the lake a short distance and I believe that I could pull 4 skiers out of the water and on plane in 3 seconds, and it will run 45 mph the rest of the day and scary coming out of the hole till the next time I come to the lake...I have had the carbs dipped and cleaned, new spark plugs, new hoses and gas tank cleaned,and new filters...if I dont find the problem the first 10 minutes that I am at the lake then I will not have the opportunity until the next week because it runs like a racehorse...I thank you

D

DJ

Re: Johnson 90 horsepower will not get on plane

tinker,<br /><br /> I assume you have a built in fuel tank?<br /><br />If so, look at the anti siphon valve. It is usually part of the tank pick up tube, or close to it.

tinker551

Recruit
Re: Johnson 90 horsepower will not get on plane

djohn Thank you for your reply, I dont think that it even has a anti-siphon valve just the one in the primer bulb..I went to the lake today and still the same thing except this time it did cut in and out like the spark was intermittent but it did straighten itself out...Are they any kind of electrical test that I could perform myself with ohm meter or should I just go ahead and buy new power pack and replace the one that is on it now....I know I would only be guessing but at this point in time I just want it to run...I could live with it but it still aggravates the daylight out of me for the first ten minutes every time I go to the lake...