1969 Evinrude Triumph 55hp overheating.

WFKellers

Recruit
I have a 1969 Evinrude 55hp that is overheating. I have pulled apart the water pump and it looked good. I replaced it anyway. I pulled the thermostat and put muffs on it and ran it and water came out of the thermostat hole. I replaced the thermostat also. It still overheats. Where is the water supposed to come out after it runs through the engine? I have a couple of little pee holes above the intakes that water is coming out of, but nothing else. What else could be causing this overheating problem? And where is the heated water supposed to be coming out?

D

DJ

Re: 1969 Evinrude Triumph 55hp overheating.

WF,<br /><br />More than likely, the water tube did not get put into the proper place when the lower unit was reinstalled.

WFKellers

Recruit

Thanks for the reply. I was wondering about those tubes. When we took the lower unit off, one of the plastic tubes was shoved way up into the unit. I took it off and reseated it when I put it back together, but I think I will check it again.

Greetings,
I have an 69 55 truimph with the lower unit off for repair. The 2 plastic tubes are GUIDES for the 2 water tubes, they fit into the alum plate on top of the water pump housing. (loose - snug all depends ). Under the plate,imbeded in the plastic water pump housing are 2 rubber bushing /sleeves. REMOVE AND INSPECT them. That being said .... the plastic sleves are (just) very important guides. They provide alingment/ transition /guide to the copper water tubes comming from the motor into the water pump housing - PAST the alum top plate. (when you get the lower unit close- you dont have any wiggle - finger room). When the lower unit is properly seated,the copper tubes will seat INTO the rubber bushings bypassing the plastic sleves, They will seem like improperly installed "parts " when you drop the lower unit. Dont be to scared if they look crusty dirty nasty .... they are just guides and have no bearing on water flow.Clean them up and reseat into the alum plate with some heavy grease to keep them in place as you "couple" the copper tubes.
Hope this helps a little .
-been there done that -
Crusty .

Greetings,
I have an 69 55 truimph with the lower unit off for repair. The 2 plastic tubes are GUIDES for the 2 water tubes, they fit into the alum plate on top of the water pump housing. (loose - snug all depends ). Under the plate,imbeded in the plastic water pump housing are 2 rubber bushing /sleeves. REMOVE AND INSPECT them. That being said .... the plastic sleves are (just) very important guides. They provide alingment/ transition /guide to the copper water tubes comming from the motor into the water pump housing - PAST the alum top plate. (when you get the lower unit close- you dont have any wiggle - finger room). When the lower unit is properly seated,the copper tubes will seat INTO the rubber bushings bypassing the plastic sleves, They will seem like improperly installed "parts " when you drop the lower unit. Dont be to scared if they look crusty dirty nasty .... they are just guides and have no bearing on water flow.Clean them up and reseat into the alum plate with some heavy grease to keep them in place as you "couple" the copper tubes.
-been there done that -
Crusty .

Greetings,
-been there done that -
Crusty .