85 evinrude 115hp stopped idling

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
115 evinrude on a 17ft Mako.Great running motor!!I used the boat all day Thurs and Fri and it ran great as it usually does.started it up Sat morning and it was fine until I brought it to idle and it stalled a few times.I took it across the bay and it ran fine,when I got to my destination and went to dock ,it stalled continually at idle.It was as if someone turned down my idle Friday night.I am going to take a look at it later today.Any suggestions as what to look at first???????? Charlie

The Marine Doctor

Commander
Re: 85 evinrude 115hp stopped idling

If you did what most people do...and ran the engine WOT across the bay...and then just pulled it back to Neutral...or to idle instead of gradually slowing down. Check your compression. :( <br /><br />TMD

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

I am looking for help Doc, not sarcasm.I take very good care of my motor and have never run anything like what you suspect.You may want to give fellow boaters,especially the ones from this forum ,a little more credit than that. Charlie

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

My first thought is water in the fuel. Do you have a water seperator?

dcolpitts

Petty Officer 2nd Class

have the same boat with 140 evinrude. same problems. mine appears to be electical, probably recifier runs great for 20 gallons of fuel idle down to take boat out, mifires restarts ckecked voltage off recifier is only 12.40 pls post what you find

Paul Witt

Seaman

Hey Crazy, I've got a 98 115. Last summer I had the same type of problem. Check the compression. I found one scored cylinder, it would run great except for idle every once in a while. Good luck!

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Thanks guys,I do have a fuel water sep.,So Little and thats the first thing I will change.I have not checked the volts yet Okam ,I guess thats next.Dont scare me Hatteras Junkie.The comp was great and equal last year and it runs exactly the same except that it decided not to idle the last time I used it.I will check it anyway.Anyone know if there is a filter on the motor itself and is it worth checking??? Charlie

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Today i replaced the fuel/water sep.,changed the plugs and started it up and still no idle.I turned up the idle screw 1 turn and seems to be ok.It probably isnt ok though,its never that easy for me.I will keep checking the things I am capable of doing. Charlie