Tag is gone on this 6 hp Johnson,I did find a # though, that I think is a serial

Hi,<br />First time hear,looks like a nice and helpful site,thanks in advance to all the Moderaters for there Volunteer help!!I appreciate it and I'm sure others do to.<br />I just bought this 6hp Johnson Seahorse today,the Serial & Model plate was missing,but the price was right so I bought it anyhow.(It looks to be around a 1970 year )<br />I did find a number under the cowl,on a small silver cover the size of a quarter that looks like a Serial number to me: J3553671<br />I have a Model number list for Johnson and Evinrude Pre-1980,but just my luck the number I found looks like a serial #.<br />Any help will be well appreciated,<br />Tony

Red Rider

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Tag is gone on this 6 hp Johnson,I did find a # though, that I think is a se

Re: Tag is gone on this 6 hp Johnson,I did find a # though, that I think is a se

The "small silver cover the size of a quarter" is called a Welch Plug. It has the serial number and sometimes the model number also. <br /><br />Comparing it to the numbers on some of the motors that I have, would lead me to believe that is is about a 1970 model. I have a 1966 that has a serial nimber of E144XX and a 1972 with a serial number of J3620***.

emsfire138

Cadet

I have a 1966 6hp Seahorse that has a serial # of J261****. Paul Moir posted a link to the "Old OMC" website. They have old catalogs, specs, and model numbers for most of that era. I know that the 1970 Model Johnsons had a white hood with a dark lower unit. If it is a 1970, it should have a small flag decal on the sides of the hood (near the back of the motor) with a "6" in it. Try going to http://mitglied.lycos.de/old_omc/ click on Catalog Overview and look for the model year that looks similar. You can then go back to the home page, click on Johnson and find the model # for that year's 6hp. I'm new to this, but I hope this will help you out a little.

Thanks guys for the help.<br />I had looked around at a few picture's and that's why I was guessing a 70,it does have the white top and dark bottom (blue or green)and also has the 6 on the side of the cowl.<br /><br />As I stated in the above post I already had the Model number lists Pre 1980.<br /> But was hoping someone had the Serial number list,because I believe the number on the welch plug is a good serial number.<br /> Thanks again,<br /> Tony<br /><br />I thought for sure bubbakat would've known for sure,maybe he didn't see the post :confused:

I went out to the garage and looked at the cowl,it has Johnson in (Black) and then a Seahorse symbol in (white) with a (black) background and then a (white) 6 with a (Red ) background all on the two sides.<br />Seahorse symbol on the back of the cowl.<br />The cowl is slanted.<br />The bottom and rest of the motor is like a light or faded green(or maybe gray),darker than like a 1949 Johnson green.

I'll trade my Johnson and my Evinrude Model number list for anyone with a Serial number list for my Johnson, I need to find out the year on this 6hp Johnson.

The lettering and symbol's on the cowl look more and more like a 1972 model. ( J3553671 )

Well I give up,I guess Bubbakat does'nt know??? :( :( :(

StarTekh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

:cool: omc deal will look and tell u in 10 seconds