Warning Horn

Walzj

Recruit
First time user: I have a 1993 70 hp Evinrude with the Warning Horn going off constantly. I feel it is not an overheating issue. Water is coming out the motor during use. <br /><br />The Warning Horn will constantly sound even when the motor is off and haven't been used. In the manual, it explains to do a Warning Horn Test. I will unhook the wires as shown, and try to ground the wires, the warning horn will go off. It will also go off even when the wires are not connected. <br /><br />My neighbor explained it could possibly be the oil filter, but it appeared to be clean. Could it be the Oil pump, which I'm assuming is located in the oil reserve under the center console?<br /><br />Could it be the wiring at the motor, wiring at the ignition, or even the sensor in the motor where the tan/blue wire is attached to. I'm assuming that sensor is the Thermostate. Any suggestions. :confused:

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Warning Horn

Assuming the horn wires are attached properly as stated below.... while the horn is sounding, remove the TAN wire from the horn. If the horn continues to blow, the horn is faulty and will require replacing.<br /><br />(Warning Horn Wire Routing)<br /> <br />The three wire plastic warning horn that came into existence with the VRO era must have the wires connected in one manner only. To have them reversed results in having the horn omit erratic false warnings. Notice that the horn has two plug on type terminals and one black wire that is incorporated within the horn. The "TAN" (sensor) wire must be connected to the terminal closest to that black wire..... with the "PURPLE" (12v) wire connected to the terminal fartherest away from that black wire.<br /><br />(VRO Horn Warnings)<br /> <br />1 - A steady constant beep = Overheating - The V/6 engines, possibly some others, have a fuel restriction warning which is also a steady constant beep.<br /><br />2 - A beep every 20 seconds = oil level has dropped to 1/4 tank.<br /><br />3 - A beep every other second = VRO failure, air leak in oil line, oil restriction, (anything that would result in a lack of oil being supplied to the engine).

Walzj

Recruit

Thanks Joe for the information. Just out of curiosity, where is the horn located. I do not have a Manual. The sound is coming from the center console area.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

If you have a regular OMC control box assy, the horn would be within the box. If you have a binacle mount control, the horn would simply be attached to the instrument cable (engine to dash cable) under the console.

Walzj

Recruit

I replaced the Warning horn and it still will constantly sound. Any other suggestions? <br /><br />You mentioned a fuel restriction. What about the oil filter? Will these elements sound even when the motor is off.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

If you remove the tan wire from the temperature sending unit on the powerhead, does the horn quit?

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Trace the wiring from the remote oil tank to the motor and disconnect it. Then see if the horn still sounds when the key is on and the motor is off. A faulty computer chip in the oil tank pickup can give all kinds of weird horn signals when it acts up. Either replacing the pickup assembly, about $60, or leaving it disconnected and visually inspecting the oil tank are your options.