1976 Evinrude 85 horse is it worth it?

mcpo

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have the opportunity to take on a major project given to me for free. This is the second one. It is a 1976 Stryker Bass boat (Tri Hull) with a 1976 Evinrude outboard 85 horse on it. It has been sitting for about 10 plus years. Is it worth me hauling off to undertake? Is that year of Evinrude hard to get parts for?<br />Thanks<br />Cal

wikelam

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1976 Evinrude 85 horse is it worth it?

The question is 'Do you think it is worth it?' I would take it in a heartbeat. I enjoy restoring boats. starting on my third. i would think that the 76 would be an motor that parts are easy to find. have a 73 50hp and can get parts very easily.

mcpo

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1976 Evinrude 85 horse is it worth it?

Thanks for you input. You won't believe this...but my son's brother in law (young guy 28), gave me a 1985 Four Winns Horizon 190 with a 3.8L V6 OMC 800 stringer outdrive. It was trashed from the word go..Had been sitting out in the country in the weeds for the last 5 years. I took it, rebuilt the floor, stripped the insides, redone the engine, outdrive and completely redone the interior. Had to put on some new parts (tilt motor, wiring, coil, some other stuff - carb kit etc...repainted the gelcoat (the dark blue middle stripe up and down the sides and back) He was here over the weekend and couldn't believe his eyes. It actually looks and runs better than it did when he was using it. Get this...he gave it to me for taking it off....Now he wants to buy it back from me...what a deal. I spent around 1400 to get it back to great shape. All I like is painting the trailer and finishing upholstering th e trim on the interior. In the deal, he wants to pay me for my time and parts and then give me a 1976 Stryker Bass Boat that has the 85 horse Evinrude on it. It has been sitting the same place the Four Winns was - his dads farm. Pretty good deal I think. I can take the profit from this one and fix up the Stryker pretty well. It should be much easier to work on than this big Four Winns was. I do know that the Evinrude outboard should be a lot easier than this OMC stringer outdrive was. Can't find anything for them. Thanks for your reply.<br />Cal