1973 evinrude 85hp--- No spark

peace56

Recruit
I was out on the boat today and was having a good ole time for about 4 hrs until I pulled into a cove and shut it off and 5 mins later it wouldnt start. It will turn over and it started 5 minutes after for about 10 seconds and died again. Got an embarrasing tow back in and checked for spark, none to be found. Was told the powerpack is probably the culprit. Any other suggestions? Or powerpacks? 1973 Evinrude 85hp Starflight #J04033

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1973 evinrude 85hp--- No spark

Hi Jack....<br /><br />Could be one of four things....your power pack, ignition coils all went south at exactly the same time (not likely), power coil under the flywheel or your timer base also under the flywheel.<br /><br />I would bet either the power pack or power coil with the power pack at the top of the list.

peace56

Recruit

Thanx Jim, I will be checking those out over the next few days(hard time in a blue-collar schedule)

peace56

Recruit

well, I jumped the the starter with the red harness disconnected and still no spark. Does this mean that definitely it is the powerpack? I have been reading other similar problems on the same type and year of my motor. Should I also disconnect the black wire w/the yellow stripe and try it?(joe reeves?)And I think that there was another one, not sure what it is. And possibly a couple of diagnosing methods would be very helpful! If anybody possibly has a powerpack(please god!) then I would be much obliged if you let me know. Thanx guys

dkondelik

Chief Petty Officer

mornin' dont,<br /><br />Sure sounds like the power pack from here but before you go shellin' out the bucks, give a quick look at the safety "kill" switch first. If this got jarred loose, it'll kill your spark.<br /><br />Good Luck

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Although it's possible the pack is faulty, It's highly unlikely that the type pack you have on that model engine would be intermitent. Any of those packs that I've encountered that go bad, stay bad.<br /><br />I see that you are aware of the Black/Yellow wire problem and the Ignition Switch, and assume you've checked that out.<br /><br />The fact that you let the engine sit for awhile would allow the stator (under the flywheel) heat up which is normal, but if that stator is cracked and leaking a inner substance, the excessive heat would cause it to drop its AC voltage to the powerpack, resulting in no ignition. Usually one can look under the flywheel and see the substance dripping, but it's best to remove the flywheel to inspect the stator thoroughly.<br /><br />Note that the flywheel nut on that model must be torqued to exactly 105 foot pounds, otherwise the fylwheel key will shear.<br /><br />If you have a tachometer and it works, the charging system is okay (to a point) with a possible intermitent stator. If you have a tach and it doesn't work, or if you have no tach, check the rectifier as follows below.<br /><br />A bad rectifier would not be able to allow the voltage to access the battery to charge it and would cause the voltage to back up at the stator, resulting in the excessive overheating, destroying the stator.<br /><br />(Small Rectifier Test)<br /> <br />Remove the rectifier wires from the terminal block. Using a ohm meter, connect the black lead of the ohm meter to the rectifier base (ground), then one by one, connect the red lead of the ohm meter to the yellow, yellow/gray, then the red wire (some rectifiers may also have a yellow/blue wire. If so connect to that also). Now, reverse the ohm meter leads and check those same wires again. You should get a reading in one direction, and none at all in the other direction. <br /><br />Now, connect the black lead of the ohm meter to the red wire. One by one, connect the red lead of the ohm meter to the yellow, yellow/gray, and if present, the yellow/blue wire. Then reverse the leads, checking the wires again. Once more, you should get a reading in one direction and none in the other. <br /><br />Note that the reading obtained from the red rectifier wire will be lower then what is obtained from the other wires. <br /><br />Any deviation from the "Reading", "No Reading" as above indicates a faulty rectifier.