Compression Question

Outrage 19

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a question. When you look up the specs of an engine and it says 8:1 for compression ratio what is that a ratio of? Cylinder volume at BDC compared to TDC?

Outrage 19

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Compression Question

Is there a way to calculate what the reading on a compression gauge you should be, under ideal conditions, from that?

Backlash

Chief Petty Officer

You are compressing the atmospheric pressure (14.7 psi at sea level) 8 times on an 8:1 ratio. If there is absolutely no leakage of compression your gauge should read 117.6 psi at sea level.<br />Backlash

wildwolf

Cadet

Do you guys know what the compression ratio on 1977 Rude 115? Sorry for the first post, i accidently hit the enter key :) <br /><br />Wolf

Outrage 19

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Backlash I’ve been wondering about that for years.<br /><br />Wetwolf I’m sure someone on this forum knows that. If you don’t get an answer start a new topic.

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

If you really want to know you need the volume of the cylinder head space (Vh). You can measure it if you have a burrette like they use in a laboratory by filling it with water and measuring how much it takes.<br /><br />If the volume of the cylinder =Vc<br />the volume of the head =Vh<br />and the volume of the cylinder and head = Vc+Vh <br /><br />The compression ratio is the ratio (Vc+Vh)/Vh.<br /><br />Vc= stroke*Pi*(bore/2)squared<br /><br />So if your head Vh was 50cc and<br />your cylinder Vc was 500cc<br />Vc+Vh would be 550cc and your compression ratio would be 550/50 which is 11:1