no fire on GT 150

dennis352

Cadet
I just purchased aboat with a 90 Johnson GT 150 VRO that is getting no fire to any plug. I have a manual for the engine and i tested the stator to find that 1 of the 3 packs is bad but i was told by a boat mech that this should not cause a no fire situation. I disconnected the harness from the boat, used a starter button on the test assembly that i borrowed from a friend and had no fire that way so i have ruled out the wiring in the boat(kill switch,ignition).the oil injection on this motor has been disconnected. Im at a loss. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: no fire on GT 150

Hi Dennis....<br /><br />No fire to none of the plugs means that either the timer base has gone totally south, the kill circuit is at fault or the power pack is shot. There is only one power pack on your engine.<br /><br />What was the "1 of the 3 packs was bad" refer to? <br /><br />Also...could you post the model number please?

dennis352

Cadet

the stator on this engine has 3 packs for lack of a better word. I dont have the book in front of me but i will look it up a reply again. A mech explained it to me as though if the boat overheated it would only use 2 of the 3 and limit the rpms to 2500 .This engine has the high amp charge system on it. I believe 2 were called charge coils and one was a sensor coil. The harness went to all 3 of these "packs"

clanton

Rear Admiral

I would check the stator output first. The stator under flywheel. You are looking for 4 brown wires, test between A and B, then C and D. The voltage should be 200 volts with peak reading meter at cranking rpms. The 2 orange wires are the power coil, makes power for Quick Start and S.L.O.W, I thik the spec are close to 50 volts with peak reading meter. If the voltage is to specs, Have you inspected the magnets in the flywheel? If all of these check ok, I would check 2 sensors, and if you are still getting no spark, replace the pack.