I CANT GET THE FOOT OFF, CAUSING DENTS

darfrid

Cadet
MY BOAT IS A 1977 EVINRUDE 75 HP. I DONT EVEN KNOW IF THE IMPELLER HAS EVER BEEN CHANGED. I BOUGHT IT FROM MY UNCLE AND I KNOW HE HAS TAKEN GOOD CARE OF IT. IT RUNS GOOD BUT I KNOW I NEED TO CHANGE THE IMPELLER BECAUSE IT WAS NOT RUNNING TWO STREAMS OUT OF THE THE TOP. S0 I TOOK THE 4 SCREWS OUT OF THE STREAM AND COULDN'T GET THE FOOT TO EVEN BUDGE. I HIT IT WITH A HAMMER ON A CLOTH AND STARTED TO BEND THE STEEL. PLEASE GIVE ME SOME ADVICE. IS THERE ANYWHERE I CAN SPRAY WD-40 TO HELP? OR ANY ADVICE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: I CANT GET THE FOOT OFF, CAUSING DENTS

Hi darfrid....yer missin' a couple bolts. Look under the trim tab for one and just ahead of the tab is another. Ya also got to remove the shift rod connection screw. You'll find this below and to the rear of the bottom carb.<br /><br />Do ya have a service manual? If not, ya' really need to get one.<br /><br />Keep us posted.

jimchere

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey! STOP! You not only perhaps missed the bolt by the trim tab (there's more than just 4 holding the foot on), there may be more. I'm not sure about the '77, but on the '79 and up you have to disconnect the shift rod in the engine bay under the carbs as well.<br />Do not force this. You could bend the driveshaft, damage the shift rod, or both. I consider myself mechanically and electrically fluent and started this same job without a manual until I got to a point similar to yours. I stopped until I got a Seloc manual. If I had proceeded further without getting a manual, I most certainly would've bent the driveshaft. You will save yourself lots of money down the road by going no further until obtaining a manual from here, marine shop, barnes/noble, amazon, whatever source. I'm no book salesman and have no affiliation with such, just saying get the book and if you don't get if from there you will get tons of help here.

darfrid

Cadet

THANKYOU OUTBOARD JIM AND JIMCHENE,<br />MAYBE I AM ABOVE MY HEAD. I DONT EVEN KNOW WHAT THE TRIM TAB IS. AND I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THE SHIFTROD CONNECTION SCREW IS. CAN I LOOK UNDER NEAR THE PROP TO SEE THESE? I HATE TO SOUND DUMB BUT I ALSO HATE TO SPEND THE MONEY AT THE MARINE SHOP. ALL SUGGESTIONS IS GREATLY APPRECIATED.

D

DJ

darfrid,<br /><br />The trimtab is the fin hanging down just over and behind the propeller. There is a bolt that holds it on and one under it, as OBJ said.<br /><br />The shift linkage is located under the bottom carb, as OBJ said. And it helps if the engine is in reverse before you try to disconnect it.

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander

darfrid, read the book ... youll see where everything goes, and it will all make sense ...<br />of course, if it DOESNT makes sense, re read that sucker til it does, it will, dont worry!

darfrid

Cadet

THANKS GUYS,<br /><br />I SEE EVERY ADVICE TELLS ME TO GET A MANUAL. I THINK I WILL TAKE YOU GUYS UP ON THAT. IT IS LIKE EVERYTHING IS SO EASY WHEN YOU TALK TO THE GUYS AT THE MARINE SHOP. THEY ACTED LIKE IT WAS NO BIG DEAL. I APPRECIATE YOUR HELP. YOU TOO DJOHNS19<br /><br />BUT JUST INCASE IS THAT THE ONLY OTHER TWO BOLTS? JUST KIDDING

darfrid

Cadet

ONE MORE THING GUYS. IF YOU ARE TELLING ME TO REMOVE BOLTS UNDER THE TRIM TAB THE BOLTS WOULD HAVE TO BE 12 TO 13"'S LONG IF THEY ARE HOLDING THE FOOT ON. I AM NOT QUESTIONING YOU BUT AM I TAKING THE FOOT OFF. WHAT I AM TAKING OFF IS ABOUT 1/4 OF THE WAY UP THE FROM THE PROP? HOW CAN THEY HOLD IT ON?

D

DJ

darfrid,<br /><br />Those are the ones.<br /><br />You can buy a manual, here on iboats. Look at the bottom left of the page.

darfrid

Cadet

OKAY I GET THE POINT, I WILL TAKE YOUR ADVICE.<br /><br />THANKS

darfrid

Cadet

OBJ,<br /><br />IS THERE ANY WAY I CAN CONTACT VIA E-MAIL WHEN I GO TO DO THIS OPERATION. I HAVE BEEN LOOKING AT THIS SITE AND YOU SEEM TO HAVE A GOOD REP. NO DISRESPECT TO OTHERS AND I WOULD LIKE TO BE ABLE TO CONTACT YOU BUT. FOR SOME REASON OBJ SEEMS TO BE THE MAN<br /><br />DARFRID

darfrid

Cadet

BY THE WAY I JUST BOUGHT A MANUAL<br /><br />THANKYOU EVERYONE

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

darfrid....<br /><br />I am far from being "THE" man....LOL. There are many here that have a lot more knowledge than I have and I'm still learning through there posts. I will help you if you need it.<br /><br />Just drop a line to me at outboardjim@comcast.net.<br /><br />Don't be afraid of the engine.....it's just a machine.