Install electric fuel pump on 57 Johnson?

gbeatty

Recruit
I would like to install an electric fuel pump on a 57 Johnson 35hp and eliminate the pressure tank and dual hoses. Does anyone have guidelines?

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: Install electric fuel pump on 57 Johnson?

Forget the electric fuel pump ... way too many safety issues. Get a fuel pump from your Evinrude/Johnson dealer. It will be vacuum perated, just like all of the newer motor and won't have the safety problems.

Lark40

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Ditto. Converting your engine to a fuel pump system is the only (safe) way to go.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I agree convert to fuel pump system do a search<br /> you should find a discription of a conversion.

foxjohnc03

Petty Officer 3rd Class

An Electric pump should be fine as long as you put it in a well ventilated area. DO NOT put it under the cowling as you will kill all of the fish when your rig explodes.

Paul Moir

Admiral

The saftey concern is pumping gas all over a burning motor with no firewall.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

agree with concerns about the electric fuel pump. You can install a standard one -- kit was actually available in '57 (think it was the "cruiser" option). Don't give up on the pressure tank too quickly, though. They are not difficult to reseal and maintain, and they work well.

ManOverboard

Recruit

I had the same idea. I have a 1978 85hp Evinrude and a 9.9hp Johnson trolling motor. I guess I'm lazy, but I got tired of having to walk back and squeeze the priming ball. Especially for the Evinrude in cold weather if it hadn't been run for several weeks.<br /><br />Here's what I did:<br /><br />I installed a Stewart-Warner 12-volt electric pump which delivers 5 psi. I mounted it in an open ventilated area in the back of the boat. However, I wired it to a spring loaded switch on the console so I could use it only as a boost-pump (or priming pump) prior to starting.<br /><br />The pump doesn't run during engine operation yet fuel will still flow through the pump.<br /><br />Here's another advantage. When Winter comes and I want to empty any remaining fuel, I connect a long fuel hose to the discharge side of the pump and pump the fuel into my vehicle! That way I start with a fresh empty fuel tank in the boat for next season.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

Hello<br /> my only consideration with the old pressure tanks is that I just pressurized it with a perfect mixture of air to fuel . now I am sitting with a 6 gallon bomb. I have never heard of one going up but I dont wish to be near anything that is pressurized with fuel vapors. its to convenient to convert it to a pressure pulse pump :) <br /> Good luck and keep posting

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

'57 Johnsons don't have a charging system. What if the battery goes flat while you're out there? No fuel pressure... Go with a traditional pressure pulse fuel pump...<br />- Scott