replace prop if hub is spun

capebill

Cadet
Is one of the fixes for a spun hub on a prop to replace the whole prop with a nes one -- will that fix the problem ??

capebill

Cadet
Re: replace prop if hub is spun

Thanks <br /><br />I had an extra prop with me and could have put that on -- what an idiot I am - but i was so upset that i just called towboat US and paid $487.00 for a tow ( my coverage covered 350.00 )

BF

Lieutenant

specks...<br /><br />Geeze, I think you're overdoin' it on the tightening! The drive shaft is splined, so is the prop hub. The bolt just holds things on. Wrench tight, (not with a 2' extension bar!) and with a good cotter pin hasn't ever caused me grief. I use antisieze on the prop shaft too before putting the prop on. Are you trying to overcome a spun hub by overtightening it? <br /><br />Oh, and the thrust washer usually goes in front of the prop, not between the prop and the nut.<br /><br />Brent

BF

Lieutenant

specks...<br /><br />Geeze, I think you're overdoin' it on the tightening! The drive shaft is splined, so is the prop hub. The bolt just holds things on. Wrench tight, (not with a 2' extension bar!) and with a good cotter pin hasn't ever caused me grief. I use antisieze on the prop shaft too before putting the prop on. Are you trying to overcome a spun hub by overtightening it? <br /><br />Oh, and the thrust washer usually goes in front of the prop, not between the prop and the nut.<br /><br />Brent

BF

Lieutenant

specks...<br /><br />Geeze, I think you're overdoin' it on the tightening! The drive shaft is splined, so is the prop hub. The bolt just holds things on. Wrench tight hasn't ever caused me grief. I use antisieze on the prop shaft too before putting the prop on. Are you trying to overcome a spun hub by overtightening it? <br /><br />Oh, and the thrust washer usually goes in front of the prop, not between the prop and the nut. At least on anything I own.<br /><br />Brent

BF

Lieutenant

specks...<br /><br />Geeze, I think you're overdoin' it on the tightening! The drive shaft is splined, so is the prop hub. The bolt just holds things on. Wrench tight hasn't ever caused me grief. I use antisieze on the prop shaft too before putting the prop on. Are you trying to overcome a spun hub by overtightening it? <br /><br />Oh, and the thrust washer usually goes in front of the prop, not between the prop and the nut. At least on anything I own.<br /><br />Brent

BF

Lieutenant

specks...<br /><br />Geeze, I think you're overdoin' it on the tightening! The drive shaft is splined, so is the prop hub. The bolt just holds things on. Wrench tight hasn't ever caused me grief. I use antisieze on the prop shaft too before putting the prop on. Are you trying to overcome a spun hub by overtightening it? <br /><br />Oh, and the thrust washer usually goes in front of the prop, not between the prop and the nut. At least it does on anything I own.<br /><br />Brent

capebill

Cadet

o.k.<br /><br />THATS THE TROUBLE WITH THE INTERENT who do you believe ???<br /><br />i GUESS i WILL HAVE TO TRY TO CALL jOHNSON AND see what they say

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

A hub is desighned to spin in the event you hit bottom or something, it is a safety feature so that you won't jam up your lower unit or worse, that's why the old shear pins broke out also, if you overtighten the rubber hub to the point where it can't spin, you are negating the purpose of it and may cause alot of damage if you hit something in the water or bottom. Wrench tight is the most common way of doing it, at least that's what I have heard my whole life, if you ask the dealer I bet they will tell you the same thing, they may give you an actual torque speck, but it will be close to what wrench tight is and probably alot less than what it is with a 2' extension bar. Good Luck.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Specks n Reds, there may be some engines that require that the prop have the nut torqued, but no OMC motors I know of. By the way, you're not tightening against the buna or neoprene in any case, you're tightening against the bronze splined sleeve that fits on the prop shaft splines. I have never tightened more than I get with Channelocks and very little effort, and I'm using the same Michigan Wheel SS prop I was 18 years ago on a Johnson 140 with almost 700 hours.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

I think this is one of those questions where you ask ten different people and get ten different opinions. The instructions for the new Flo Torq hubs say tighten the prop nut to 55ft/lbs. In doing that, I discovered this is just about the same amout of torque I've always tightened prop nuts (on larger engines).<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

capebill

Cadet

Thank again You guys are great<br /><br />I guess there are differences of opinion on any subject

wikelam

Chief Petty Officer

I do like to tighten the nut very tight. the tighter the nut the harder it is to spin the prop. might not think this is a good thing but i would rather replace a prop, than the guts of the lower unit when you hit something.

BF

Lieutenant

now that the site's back up, I can catch up!<br /><br />Specks, are you saying that I mis-read you about the thrust waster? <br /><br />You say not to forget to put it on before you put the nut on. From that, I take it to mean that you're saying the prop goes on, then the thrust washer, then the nut.<br /><br />I'm saying that on my motors, the thrust washer goes on the prop shaft before you put the prop on (in front of the prop). The thrust washer has a tapered center hole, that matches the taper on the prop shaft. The prop pushes on the washer and the thrust is translated to the prop shaft through the tapered surfaces of the thrust waster & prop shaft.<br /><br />Brent

clanton

Rear Admiral

The torque on the prop nut for the 70 hp johnson <br />has nothing to do with the hub spinning, or not spining. It is also important to have the correct thrust washer( the one that goes on first between the gearcase and prop), some stainless props require different thrust washer. Instructions should come with new prop. The thrust washer should only touch the propshaft and the center hub of the prop. If the washer too small, it allows too much hot exhaust gas to flow to the rubber hub. If it is too large, it restricts exhaust flow.