1975 70 johnson why it dies when exhaust is under water

fireplug

Cadet
MY ENGINE WILL DIE WHEN YOU PUT THE PROP IN WATER OTHERWISE IT RUNS FINE . IT WILL IDLE UNDER WATER BUT WONT RUN IN GEAR BUT WILL IF THE PROP IS NOT SUBMERGERED IN WATER . ANY HELP WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED . :)

clanton

Rear Admiral
Re: 1975 70 johnson why it dies when exhaust is under water

Low cylinder compression, low crankcase pressure. Fuel system, ignition system good, check compression, should be up to spec with no more then 4 turns of crank with hot battery.

fireplug

Cadet

i checked the compression and its good on all 3 cylinders.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Fireplug.... The engine may seem like it's running fine, but it is not. Regardless of the problem, always check the compression first, should be approx 100+ psi and even on all cylinders. Let us know what the readings are.<br /><br />Second, with the s/plugs out, check the spark with some kind of spark tester. The spark should jump a 7/16" gap on that model with a strong blue lightning like flame, also on all cylinders. Does it?<br /><br />If the above items check out okay, I would assume that a carburetion problem (fouled/clogged) exists that is causing the engine to run lean.

fireplug

Cadet

i was checking it by putting mt finger over the hole. will an automotive compression gage work. whats a safe range for pressure on each cylinder

fireplug

Cadet

my compression is 88,91,87. after tinkering a bit we discovered that the advance is not working in sink with the throttle.we adjusted the slack on the cable and the engine is going into gear most of the and running through the rpm band fine. my question is where is the advance suppost to be when the engine is going into gear if all of this sounds correct.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Bump<br /><br />Hooty

The Marine Doctor

Commander

Remove the head and inspect the pistons and cylinder walls.<br /><br />TMD