VRO/Overheating/Fuel Restriction ????????

Bennett

Seaman
Gentlemen, here is the story, 2 yrs ago the S.L.O.W. was comming on, took it to the mech he said replace the VRO and that the motor was not overheating. I took it to another mech, he replaced the alarm, problem solved. Last week I could run the boat full out for about 15 min then I got a continuous alarm and the motor slowed down, I wasn't sure if it was Overheating or Restriction ? I would shut the motor off for only a 1 min and run at half speed to camp site. If it was overheating wouldn't the alarm come back on, with a wait time of only a min ? I have also noticed a pool (small) of oil when I have the motor in the store position. Leak = Restriction ??

Bennett

Seaman
Re: VRO/Overheating/Fuel Restriction ????????

Sorry the motor is a 1990 60hp Johnson VRO

plywoody

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Did you check the engine to see if it was getting hot? <br />Was it pumping water out of the pee hole?

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Replace the impeller and T-stats if it has been over two years even if you think they are OK.<br /><br />You need to confirm what the problem is before you run it again.

Bennett

Seaman

Yes water is comming out the pee hole (even flow)<br />Would you sugest I take to a mech for troubleshooting, it will cost 150.00

Bennett

Seaman

I'm not usre I know what a T-stats is.

deputysargent

Recruit

your s.l.o.w. alarm will reset itself after you shut your engine off and you should be able to run at a slow speed back to the dock.even though you have water coming out it still may not be enough.check the impellar.as far as the oil leak,if it is coming out of the lower unit behind your prop,there is a o-ring inside that needs to be replaced.

clanton

Rear Admiral

This engine does not have fuel restriction alarm, only no oil, low oil, overheat. The tattle tale nipple on side of block needs to be move top of block, temp sensor should have tan/blue stripe pigtail, if tan only, old style sensor gives phoney signal. There are other updates for this engine, jets for carb, timing change, water pressure relief valve spring, thermostat seat, thermostat. Dealer should have this info and the parts to upgrade.