70 hp Johnson Stalling

RobMac

Cadet
After using the boat for extended periods and then left to sit , trying to restart becomes difficult. We let it sit longer and it will start up but when put into gear it will stall out. Plugs and fuel filter have been changed filter was very dirty. Is this an overheating problem or fuel?

trumpetbucks

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 70 hp Johnson Stalling

If letting it sit awhile fixed it, then the problem could be several things. It could be getting flooded, overheated, etc.<br /><br />Does the motor always run well until you cut if off? How long are your "extended periods"? Does it run well at idle, even when you get it restarted?<br /><br />Any more details you can add will help us help you figure it out.<br /><br />Good luck!

RobMac

Cadet

I had the boat out for 3 hours trolling with trolling plate. It stalled a couple of time while trolling but I tilted the motor up and it ran fine. Docked the boat after 3 hours of running let it sit for 1/2 hour and went to start it up. It started fine but when put into gear it stalled, restarted it and it became more difficult to start and again it stalled when put into gear. Got it back to the dock checked plugs , they were not very snug and I also checked the gap (30). I changed plugs and also the fuel filter was changd because of sand found in the filter. Started it back up but again once in gear it stalled, restarted and it then ran better. Runs well at high speed, took it out the next day and trolled again for 3 hours but did not use the trolling plate ,it ran well got back to the dock it sat for 45 min and when I restarted it it stalled again when put into gear.<br />It is a 1997 70 hp Johnson long shaft

RobMac

Cadet

Sorry just to add, there is a good stream of water being discharged from the cooling system however it does seem to get very warm, is this normal? Is there an alarm that would go off to warn against overheating?

RobMac

Cadet

I just got it back from the shop and the mechanic there adjusted the idle up and ajusted the carbs within spec also they did a compression test and all 3 cylinder readings are from 120 to 130 all exceptable I assume. Water pressure great and they asked me to try it again and advise that I use the choke trottle everytime I start it even when warm?????. Any advise