waater and oil in propeller of 1966 Johnson outboard

rick3b

Cadet
I just bought a 1966 Johnson 60 horsepower motor. I do not know much about motors. I got it to start but noticed smoke coming out of the water.(Trash can filled with water) I removed the propeller and found a creamy, foamy liquid behind propeller. I think it is water and oil getting into this area. Can any one give me advice on what the problem might be, and how much it will cost to repair? Any info will be appreciated.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander
Re: waater and oil in propeller of 1966 Johnson outboard

The smoke you saw is the exhaust from the motor. Outboards get rid of their exhaust through the prop and into the water, except for a little bit coming out of the pressure relief higher up on the shaft, so that is normal don't worry. The foamy liquid you saw behind the prop is oil from the lower unit leaking out and mixing with water, this most likely means your prop shaft seal is leaking and needs to be replaced. If I were you I would buy the manual for your motor and it will show you how to do it, it is not that hard.<br /><br />P.S. Just for future reference or problems you should post on the Johnson/Evinrude forum there are alot of experts from all over the country there, and you can pretty much find out anything about any Johnrude there. Good Luck.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: waater and oil in propeller of 1966 Johnson outboard

Moving to Johnson-Evinrude troubles.