Evinrude 4hp (Deluxe) - Pull Cord Fix

BB-Dog

Recruit
I recently bought a 4hp Evinrude (Deluxe) I believe to be a 1980's or 1990's model. It works great but one day on the lake the pull cord came right off in my hand. I thought it would be a reletively simple re-installation but after an hour of head scratching I need help!<br /><br />Essentially there is a recoil mechanism and a spool turned vertically, however it is a complete mystery as to how to coil the cord and the path is not apparent.....help!<br /><br />B.

BB-Dog

Recruit
Re: Evinrude 4hp (Deluxe) - Pull Cord Fix

I wonder if anyone could provide something a little more helpful...... :rolleyes:

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Hi BB,<br /> Those recoils are really quite simple. You need to remove it from the motor to properly add a new rope. CAREFULLY remove the rope spool from the housing that holds the spring. You DO NOT want the spring to come out. Note the order in which parts come out, take pictures if needed. When reassembling, you'll see the pin in the spool that needs to slide into the hole tab in the inner loop of the spring <br /> The rope pulls out of the bottom of the spool when all is assembled. This bottom pull causes a side-arm motion of the recoil housing sending the small sprocket gear up into the teeth in the flywheel.<br /> Typically, I will re-install the recoil with the rope fully wrapped around the spool, taped into the groove. Then, add a couple of turns to the spool, turning it clockwise to add some tension to the spring, before pulling the end of the cord out and feeding it into the hole in the cowling. Make sure the cord runs over the metal guide in the bottom of the starter housing - it looks like a 1/2"-wide tab with flared edges, bent over from the housing. Also, make sure the tab in the gear-side housing is between the two smaller tabs in the spring-side housing - they act as stops.<br /> Also, as JB noted - a manual helps a lot!<br />- Scott

BB-Dog

Recruit

Thank you very much!<br /><br /> :)