MORE HP

NAIGOR

Cadet
I have 1973 Evinrude Fisherman 6HP with wrong (4HP probably) carb. Can I buy stronger carb, to get more HP (arond 10 HP)? Or is it 6HP the best option?<br />Another question. Can I use Johnson carb?<br /> :eek:

foxjohnc03

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: MORE HP

You can increase jet size in your current carb which will give you more fuel but then you will be running way rich(not good for motor). To balance out the jet change you would have to get a larger carb that will pump more fuel than stock while supplying more air. But you run into problems. Your engine was designed to put out a certain amount of HP. They chose a carb with a venturi size that was the size that they needed. The intake manifold and reed cage were designed for the stock carb venturi size. If you were to put a larger carb on there it would cause a bottleneck when the air enters the intake manifold. The only way to remidy this situation is to pull of the intake manifold and bore the opening and passageways to the size of the new carb. In other words it is not worth the hassle or cost to try to pump a hp or two out of the engine. If you want more power, sell your 6 and buy a 10. You will be alot better off down the road.

NAIGOR

Cadet

Thanks!<br />That means that I must buy a proper carb. :cool: <br />But are the carbs for Johnson the same as for Evinrude?

foxjohnc03

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yeah, Evinrude & Johnson are made by the same company, OMC. Most are exactly the same but are painted in different color schemes.