1967 johnson ignition

Dbailey

Seaman
I have a 1967 johnson 9.5 h.p. and am having trouble idling it. After rebuilding carb, installing new fuel pump and lines, installing new spark plugs and wires, and numerous adjustments to the low speed mixture, I got no results. It still coughs and dies at idle. I read in the manual that the fuel-ignition sync. was probably off. I got to looking at it and the rollers on both the cam follower and the starter lever are both worn flat. Does this sound like it could be the culprit? Is it possible to order just these parts or are they sold as a complete assembly?? Can anyone give me part numbers for either of these parts?? Thanks in advance for any help.<br />Dustin

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1967 johnson ignition

Bailey.... I have no idea what you're referring to when you say "Starter Lever" but the numbers for the roller and the follower are:<br /><br />Roller - 305232 - Still available<br /><br />Cam Follower - 310001 - Unavailable since 1996. This is the longer white nylon lever.<br /><br />Frankly I don't think it matters if there's a flat spot as long as you can adjust the synchronization properly. The throttle butterfly should just start to open when the scribe mark on the metal cam is lined up with the vertical white nylon portion of the cam follower.<br /><br />If the butterfly opens too soon, the engine will spit back at idle with the same symptoms as a carburetor being set too lean.<br /><br />If the synchronization is okay and the following adjustment procedure doesn't help, it's possible that you may have overlooked something within the carburetor.<br /><br />(Carburetor Adjustment - Single S/S Adjustable Needle Valve)<br /><br />Initial setting is: Slow speed = seat gently, then open 1-1/2 turns.<br />Start engine and set the rpms to where it just stays running. In segments of 1/8 turns, start to turn the S/S needle valve in. Wait a few seconds for the engine to respond. As you turn the valve in, the rpms will increase. Lower the rpms again to where the engine will just stay running.<br /> <br />Eventually you'll hit the point where the engine wants to die out or it will spit back (sounds like a mild backfire). At that point, back out the valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest slow speed setting. <br /><br />When you have finished the above adjustment, you will have no reason to move them again unless the carburetor fouls/gums up from sitting, in which case you would be required to remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor anyway.

Dbailey

Seaman

Thanks for the quick reply...<br />As you can see, I don't have much knowledge about this stuff. I appreciate the help and will try the advise offered. Thanks again.<br />Dustin

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Joe and Dustim...<br /><br />If you do set up the cam and cam follower roller in spec, (throttle just starts to open when the roller and cam scribe are in alignment) but the roller does have a flat area, what if the roller does turn? I can see your point Joe...but if the cam has a "snag" on it or the roller turns, then the adjustment is gone.<br /><br />Could we possible be also talking about a bad reed?<br /><br />Jim

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Point.... The roller is still available. The cam follower flat spot will not change position.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

OK...gotcha now Joe....sometimes ya' just ta' hit me in the head to make me understand. :D