Starter solenoid Question

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander
Ive been thinking about something, if I were to lock two Ford solenoids in a box, and use them JUST to send power to the starters, does it really matter if its wound differently, etc etc<br /><br />the motors are magneto motors, no powerpack or anything to control, and a waterproof/leakproof box would handle the spark situation ... its a wide open runabout, dont know where fumes could accumulate anyway<br /><br />Also ... eh, different post<br /><br /> :cool:

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: Starter solenoid Question

Dont know that it would hurt Ray.....seen a lot stranger things than that. :D :D :D

Sal G

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hi CastawayRay. <br />I wish I knew enough to help you but TOU SURE <br />HELPED ME by responding to my detonated piston<br />question. Sent you a separate message but I can't find where it was placed in this forum.I don't mean to be rude by cutting into your space but I <br />need help from pros like yourself . Can you leave me your e-mail<br />address so I can ask you more questions about<br />just boring out 1 cylinder vs. full replacement?<br />Thanks SOOOOOOOOOO much<br /><br />Sal G<br />e-mail: salutations@erols.com

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander

Ill answer as best I can Sal, but Joe Reeves is DA MAN for OMC, he has forgotten more than almost any of us will ever learn, lol, amazing what he knows ... in the words of Sgt Shultz, I know nothink, NOTHINK ... compared to him anyway, lol<br /><br />but absolutely, replace one hole when you are down on dough, that hardware doesnt come cheap, no sense redoing the works if all you truly need is one - just remember that you are now keeping the other three grouped within that 10 % window, the new one will pop like brand new<br /><br />more importantly, make sure you find out WHY she ate that piston, got to have those carbs correct, water steam cleaning the walls clear of oil will cause it, and so will overly lean carbs ... <br /><br />get all of it right the first time and you are good to go!

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks Jim, I didnt see where it would cause any harm for starting, and as far as stopping her goes, seems to me its like a kill switch on a tractor, ground out the condenser and you should stop her from running<br /><br />Naturally, I would want to VERIFY that idea, but sure seems sound!<br /><br /> :rolleyes:

Sal G

Petty Officer 3rd Class

THANK YOU!!!!!!!! CastawayRay<br /><br />NOW THINGS ARE BEGINNING TO MAKE SENSE!!<br /><br />Must of had water in that cylinderat thr end of last year because that's when it started to bog down imtermittantly.I only found that out a month ago when I just happened to check the plugs-<br /><br />You're so helpful - I just hope that you are able to get your problem resolved!<br /><br />Many thanks again,<br />Sal G

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Well Ray....if grounding out the condenser don't work....ya' kin always stick yer finger in tha' flywheel...... :D :D :D :eek: :eek:

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander

Damnn Jim, that gets to SMART after a while, ya think im MADE of band aids? :p <br /><br />Your welcome Sal - I learned a lot from my great gran dad, he fixed things immaculately, but only fixed what was broken ... "if it aint broke dont fix it" is popular today, but he said it 35, and likely 75 years ago<br /><br />Some things just make sense to me<br /><br />Course, I could be insane, and EVERYTHING makes sense to me ... :eek: <br /><br />hehehe<br /><br /> :cool:

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander

There was a post about it a while back, (soleniods) about how they were wound differently and grounded differently, but I think they meant the s2 post ... control voltage to s1 should close the batt and start terminals, and thats all I want to do, get the damnned thing to spin, her own magneto will take care of the rest ...<br /><br />as far as grounding that condenser out, couple of million lawn tractors cant be wrong, right?<br /><br /> :p

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Yep....all coils are not alike...<br /><br />Some coils need to ground from one of the small posts. Some coils are a "case" ground.<br /><br />(Ray...am I impressin' ya' yet?)<br /><br />Depends on the application. <br /><br />Need another long neck......

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander

bein a Ford Man, (First On Race Day), I like those 60's - 70's solenoids (helll prolly the same today)<br />which I beleive were case grounded (hell yeah ya impress me, lol, usually ya hear, whats a solenoid?)<br /><br />one screwdriver would energize the coil to get her to crank (batt and s1 if memory serves, I used to just do it without thinking of terminlogy<br /><br />since ive got yer ear, what do you think of 68 33 horse Johnsons, pretty much the same reliability etc etc as the rest of the R series motors? this one looks like a beaut, electric start Super Sea Horse (I still say, as a Sea Horse Hound lo these many months, that super and electric start are synonomous, never seen a super that was struggle string only)(mine are supremely quiet, I wanna hear em MAKE SOME NOISE, lol, and not just rattling around in the trunk)<br /><br />eh, maybe by Jerry's Telethon Time Ill have an answer (hes gotta be near 80 :eek: , I wonder what keeps him goin?)<br /><br />besides Charo visits :D

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Have ya' seen Jerry lately???? Got ta weight in at....at least 250 to 300 pounds.<br /><br />Soon as I git to wear I can post a pitcher....I'd like you to see this 31.2 hp Johnny I got. 1936. With...ere ya ready????? electrix start. Suckers got to weight in at 200lbs or more. Geez...took me and the guy I got it from to unload the sucker. Jugs are huge!! Jugs.......never mind.

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander

LOL, two BIG jugs with electrodes on the nip ... errl the protuberances, hey, kinky, I LIKE THAT!<br /><br />My sub, er, gf hates when I break out the TENS unit, sometimes I get a bit evil with her<br /><br />sorta like a nuclear bomb gets a bit WARM ... Muhahahaha<br /><br /> :D