do i need to call funeral home

moneypit73

Recruit
I bought a used boat to fix up. It is a 73 johnson 115. Have replaced ignition switch, solenoid, starter, coils and have new battery. The problem is i turn the key and i get nothing not even a grunt. Can cross out the solenoid and it cranks. Think there is power to ignition switch because my choke is working. Also can use 12 volt light tester on ignition points and it seems to work. Could it be the power pack? If not do u have any other suggestions? Thank you

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: do i need to call funeral home

First of all, get a shop manual if you don't have one. Then with a helper, measure voltage at solenoid coil connection when ign key is in 'start' position. Should get 12vdc or close to that. If not, start checking from ign sw to solenoid for wiring integrity. You may find a wire break or corroded termination.<br /><br />I would stop buying parts until you find out what's wrong ... it get's expensive.

Heavyeight

Seaman Apprentice

You may have a fuse in one of the wires between the ignition switch harness connector and the solonoid (I do, although mine is a 1992 motor). If this fuse is blown or the fuse holder is corroded it would explain why your switch will not crank the engine but a jumper wire will.<br /><br />Check the wiring diagrams in a manual for your specific year/model.

papasage

Senior Chief Petty Officer

there is a fuse onmy 50 hp just above the powerpack. it is a red wire that comrs off the silidnoid . papasage

papasage

Senior Chief Petty Officer

red &purple stripe wire from switch to cylidnoid has a fuse. papasage

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Shop manual, shop manual - shop manual. Sounds repetative dosen't it?

moneypit73

Recruit

Thanks everyone for your help. We got her going it was a lose connection thanks for the help once again. And I know manual manual manual thanks a bunch