77 55 hp Evnrde steering cable problem

ruffduff

Recruit
1st time posting, please excuse any improper prcdrs. <br /><br />I just bought an old Lucraft w/ 1976 or 77 55 hp Evnrude. It has a few problems I have solved with manual, however, cant put my hands on the manual today while working on removing steering cable. I removed the steering wheel and began pulling the threaded shaft out... (I figured to take entire cable to shop and have new one made up.) <br /><br />Well, there is not enough room to remove entire shaft? Should I just cut the cable then remove? If so, how to get newly made up on in without same problem? Or does the cable connect some other way which is easier to remove? <br /><br />Hope this isn't an incorrect place to post. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

The Marine Doctor

Commander
Re: 77 55 hp Evnrde steering cable problem

Are you refering to the shaft that runs through the Thru tube?<br /><br />If so..you may have to pull the engine off the boat to get it out.<br /><br />Where I work we NEVER try to repair the cables we replace them..so cutting it is sometimes an easier option.<br /><br />TMD

ruffduff

Recruit
Re: 77 55 hp Evnrde steering cable problem

Big thanks for the response. I was real close to getting motor side out without having to remove it, then, I turned my focus to the steering wheel side and that is where the problem started. Beneath the steering wheel here is a tube which houses the threaded shaft that the steering wheel engages and moves. The cable is attached either thru or to this shaft. The whole shaft almost came out, but the side of the boat prevented enough room... <br /><br />Does the cable connect to the threaded shaft or to the other end of the tube (typically)?