99 johnson idle to high

outrigger

Seaman Apprentice
My project boat just came from its first trip to the water. Started just fine put it in reverse, backed out in forward ok ran a little rough but its the first time its been run in months. Drove slow at first and came up on the throttle slow till it was on plane. About 10 minuits later slowed and tried to put it back in neutral. Wonld not go to nutral, steared for the dock and turned the motor off. Went into neutrel just fine once the engine stoped. Started it up again and it went to almost 4000 rpms. I have no idea why??????<br /> Is their a set screw that I can adjust?<br /> Why would it start just fine and idle low then stay so high?<br /><br /> LAST QUSTION <br /> At full throttle the rpms were at 5400 is this ok or do i need to change to a differant pitch prop??<br /><br /> James

hondon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 99 johnson idle to high

In 99 Johnson made alot of different engines.Which one do you have?

outrigger

Seaman Apprentice

Ran it again got it down to 2000rpm's. Idle adj. is not even touching the back stop. I there an adjustment on the carbs other than the butterflys in the carb????

The Marine Doctor

Commander

Sounds like the throttle cable is broken...out of adjustment at the engine or came off in the control box.<br /><br />TMD

outrigger

Seaman Apprentice

Today I adjusted the control on the carb I think it should take care of that issue. Last night took the boat out and the shifter on the moter would not go into gear. Cable and the shifter is fine all new.<br />I worked it back and forth and it finally went in gear. What would cause it not to shift? The problem is in the engen not the cable because I was using my hand not the cable. Reverse works great just on occasion it will not go into forward.<br /><br /> Thoughts????