1967 Johnson 60 hp power problem

tcoffey12

Recruit
I have a 1967 Johnson 60 hp model VXL13A longshaft on a 1963 Lonestar 18 1/2 deep V aluminum boat. This motor ran great at the beginning of last year but at the end of summer, whenever I put it in forward or reverse, I go 1/4 of power. I had the motor tuned up and a new water pump put on this year and when it is in neutral, it has full power but when I put it in forward or reverse, it is only 1/4 power and moves slow. Any suggestions for me and my motor guy?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1967 Johnson 60 hp power problem

You need to check if all cylinders are making power, TCoffey. Listening to it with no load will tell you nothing.<br /><br />With the engine idling, pull each plug wire, one at a time. If the rpm drops, that cylinder is making power. If not, that cylinder is dead. Check for a spark to the block.<br /><br />If you have dead cylinders side by side that have good spark, you probably have a bad carb, overhaul it. Dead top cylinders, bad top carb.<br /><br />If you have dead cylinders over-under it is probably an ignition problem.<br /><br />Let us know what you find. If your "motor guy" couldn't figure this out, I think you need to consider another motor guy.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

horsefly38425

Petty Officer 1st Class

air or timeing if they do not advance they will not power up

tcoffey12

Recruit

Checked the cylinders and over 100 on each one. No carb or ignition problem either. This is frustrating. Any other suggestions would greatly be appreciated! I also have a Seloc Johnson/Evinrude tune-up and repair manual.