johnson 115 VRO V4 - throttle control

thackea

Cadet
I'm fairly new to boating, so please bear with me (on that same note, I need alot of help)<br />For about 2 months now, I've owned my used 14' bowrider. The engine is a Johnson 115 VRO V4 -- model# J115TLC0, serial#G7069970. What year is this?<br />Anyway, the throttle is very quirky and sticky. I have to jam it down full force to make it move at all, so increasing and decreasing speed smoothly is difficult. I'm going to try to repair/rebuild it but I haven't taken it apart yet. Is this something I should do or should it simply be replaced?

thackea

Cadet
Re: johnson 115 VRO V4 - throttle control

maybe some needed additional info for the last posting -- the throttle is a side mount with trim and tilt controls. I've found some for sale but upwards of $200, so I'd rather repair this one, if possible

KennyKenCan

Commander
Re: johnson 115 VRO V4 - throttle control

Hey thackea,<br /><br />Are you sure its the control box?<br /><br />Sounds to me that the cables may be your problem.<br /><br />They could be corroded and fraying inside the cover.<br /><br />I would disassemble everything and check to make sure the cables and controls move freely. ( DO NOT DISASSEMBLE THE CABLES , you'll never get them back together.)<br /><br />Also make sure that the friction control in the control box is not too tight.<br /><br />Sure would hate to see ya spend $200 on a control box when a $40 cable is the culprit!<br /><br />Kenny