71 johnson 60 super seahorse Amplifier dead

migsey

Recruit
Hi I was just wondering if There is a workaround<br />for a dead amplifier?<br />maybe somthing from the motortrade I could retrofit to make my motor run.<br />New Amplifier cost $300.<br />Its a pity because the motor runs great apart from that.<br />Thanks

Hooty

Rear Admiral
Re: 71 johnson 60 super seahorse Amplifier dead

No "workaround" that I'm aware of. Try these folks for your powerpack.<br /><br /> Seiler Marine <br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

migsey

Recruit

Thanks for the Reply Hooty il try those guys

lastout

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i have tried a 12 volt auto coil that has an internal resistor, and a condenser connected to the negative side of the coil. it works, but i had some problems. dogger tried it and advised that it worked great for him. to do this, disconnect the amplifier and coil. purchase a universal 12 volt coil with internal ballast resistor and a condenser. dogger used the condenser for a 1979 lincoln 429. mount the coil to the ground plate where the amplifier was, be sure that it is well grounded. connect the + side of the coil to the power from ignition wire that was attached to the amplifier. connect the black and white wire to the points to the neg. side of the coil. also connect the condenser to the neg side of the coil. make sure the points are gapped at .010 to start. dogger said he was going to increase his to .020 due to power loss at wot. fire it up! while its running check the voltage going into the positive side of the coil, if it is greater than 15 volts...replace your rectifier. this was my problem and it smoked the new coil. this does work, but you may need to tweek it a little. best of luck and let us know how it goes. the whole set up should cost about 30.00$

migsey

Recruit

Lastout just got your message <br />sounds great im gona try it <br />Big Thanks for your help <br />will let you know how i get on