motor keeps sheering pin in prop

phishbvr

Recruit
my 1972 johnson keeps sheering the pin in the prop. while running the motor seems to jump or shudder the it runs fine then it will do it again. this happens about 3 time before it breaks the pin in the prop. I am quite perplexed with this as the motor runs fine otherwise.

ob

Admiral
Re: motor keeps sheering pin in prop

Maybe the hole that accepts the pin is wallered out causing it to shear.Just a guess.

phishbvr

Recruit

would I need to replace the lower unit? This is my first boat and Im getting the feeling that its a dud.

ob

Admiral

Without seeing or examining your gearcase and propshaft its hard to tell what the exact problem is.You may have excessive worn gears or clutch dawg allowing the gears to slip in and out of engagement and acting with a hammering effect and shearing the prop pin.That's my best guess.Others may be able to shine a better light on your problem.

427hawk

Seaman

i never had a shudder but my shaft and prop were bolth out of round , anytime i put it in gear snap , i drilled it 2 drill sizes bigger , not the best fix i know, but the cheapest and have not snapped a pin since