92 150 Spitfire

Thermodude

Cadet
I own a 92 150 Evinrude Spitfire V6. The engine runs great, I was wondering if anyone could give me some info about this series of engines? How dose this series compare to the Johnson GT or the Evinrude XP series? Also, any problems that may be expected? Like I said it runs great "so far" and it works very well on my Hydra-Sport............any help would be great!

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: 92 150 Spitfire

Very peppy little motors. They are lighter than their crossflow counterparts and produce more torque. <br /><br />Set 'em correctly and youll love it. Keep Champion plugs in it or youll hate it.<br /><br />Good luck!

Bcmagna

Cadet

I also own a 92 intruder spitfire,and since I have bought it 3 weeks ago I really haven't had it running right. So I made an appointment at a reputable marine dealer here in MPLS,MN and should be up and running tomorrow. The previous owner I know and he said that it runs great ,not for me.I think its something electrical and the problem comes and goes at all kind of rpm's. It will sputter and cough then go like crazy,then the next time it will miss at 3/4 throttle.So its nice to hear that these are good running motors . I brought it to a parts changer and he put in a rectifier and lake tested it ...that wasn't it so I cut my losses($477.10) and will bring it to a mechanic that can dino and has his tools right next to him.sometime a guy is a slow learner but I did learn.Bill

Thermodude

Cadet

Thanks for the feed back guys.............Dhadley, Ive been told that about the plugs before...........why is that I need to use only Champion plugs? And Bcmagna.............Im sure that they will have your Intruder running fine soon.............like I said before, the one I have seems to run great!

D

DJ

Thermodude,<br /><br />Can't say what it is about the Champion plugs, but it is absolutley true. Same applies for many JohnnieRudes.

Bcmagna

Cadet

here is what I posted on another link today and what I've found out so far <br /><br />I have a 1993 150 intruder and is in the shop right now for some of the same reasons. sometimes it misses at high rpm's and other times it will not jump out of the hole without dieing . Here's what the mechanic (not "parts changer")said. The water pump has got sand in it and to much ware on the impeller witch is causing it to run at 160*+ and should be @140*too hot not enough water.So now with the new pump in the water pressure is fine so is the temp.All that's left is to get a new power pack because the old one got to hot and did damage to the relays. when these get to hot the sensors shut down the motor to prevent damage and the power pack will have the described symptoms.Bill

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Those motors were designed to run the heat ranges and other Characteristics of Champion plugs. Other brand plugs may be listed as a "crossover" but may be slightly different.<br /><br />Think of it this way -- Merc and Yammaha motors may foul a set of Champions rather easily. Of course then its those "rotten Champions". An NGK will work well in them -- thats what the motors were designed to run. The "equilivent" NGK may have slightly different (hotter) burn traits. It will show up on a pyrometer (EGT). Hotter combustion temps attack the piston, colder temps tend to foul the plugs. If a given motor was designed to run certian heat range and run characteristic spark plug it was designed around fuel flow, timimng, engine temp, load etc.<br /><br />Were not saying you cant run a plug other than Champion but the temps have to be right. We have run NGK's in our OMC race motors but we tend to dump tremoundous ammounts of fuel. <br /><br />In stock motors we have always found it best to run what each OE designed the motor to run on. <br /><br />Good luck!

Thermodude

Cadet

Thanks for the input guys, I work with temperature analysis for a living so I can relate to what you are saying about proper temperature ranges. I also work with lubrication analysis and have been doing a little experiment with the outboard oil that I use. For the most part I run Evinrude oil in my motor, but have used the Penzoil synthetic blend to see how it compared as far as smoking and build up on my plugs. The Penzoil blend didnt seem to smoke as much but there was a distinct differance as to the build up on my plugs..................just an observation! Thanks for the help guys!